The Shepherd's VoiceHave you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?
Top Christian Music Videos
Just One Thing Right
Despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us (v.37).
I prayed really hard,” she said, “‘Please, God, could just one thing go right forme?’ And one hour later I got a horrid case of the flu!” At the precipice of bitterness, she had legitimate questions. She cried out to God. And she got what seemed to be a divine prank!
Suffering touches all of us. But when someone else is in it—when we’re on the outside looking in—we have several options: We can avoid the situation and metaphorically avert our gaze. (This denies the human condition.) We can offer empty words of advice, or worse yet, criticism. (This naively believes that all things make sense in this life. We might feel better. But they won’t.) We can climb into their pain and walk alongside them. (This may make us a target for the person’s pain. But it’s the loving thing to do.)
The apostle Paul’s letter to the Romans was written to a people oppressed by a tyrant. It was an oppression Paul knew intimately. So he quoted the psalmist: “For Your sake we are killed every day; we are being slaughtered like sheep” (8:36; Psalms 44:22—this psalm was penned during a time of national defeat for Israel). But Paul went on: “Despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us” (Romans 8:37). His viewpoint culminates in some of the most triumphant language ever written. “Neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love” (v.38).
Are you or someone you love going through a dark season? “Weeping may last through the night,” sang the psalmist David, “but joy comes with the morning” (Psalms 30:5). We can trust the loving hand of the One who knows our deepest pain.
Psalms 44:17 is the cry of a people who don’t understand why they’re suffering. How does this resonate with your experience?
How do you react when faced with tough times? Do you allow what you perceive to be unfair to drive you to God, or do you push Him away? Why?
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more