Always ThereDo you believe that the Lord is always with you?
Top Music Videos
Just One Thing Right
Despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us (v.37).
I prayed really hard,” she said, “‘Please, God, could just one thing go right forme?’ And one hour later I got a horrid case of the flu!” At the precipice of bitterness, she had legitimate questions. She cried out to God. And she got what seemed to be a divine prank!
Suffering touches all of us. But when someone else is in it—when we’re on the outside looking in—we have several options: We can avoid the situation and metaphorically avert our gaze. (This denies the human condition.) We can offer empty words of advice, or worse yet, criticism. (This naively believes that all things make sense in this life. We might feel better. But they won’t.) We can climb into their pain and walk alongside them. (This may make us a target for the person’s pain. But it’s the loving thing to do.)
The apostle Paul’s letter to the Romans was written to a people oppressed by a tyrant. It was an oppression Paul knew intimately. So he quoted the psalmist: “For Your sake we are killed every day; we are being slaughtered like sheep” (8:36; Psalms 44:22—this psalm was penned during a time of national defeat for Israel). But Paul went on: “Despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us” (Romans 8:37). His viewpoint culminates in some of the most triumphant language ever written. “Neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love” (v.38).
Are you or someone you love going through a dark season? “Weeping may last through the night,” sang the psalmist David, “but joy comes with the morning” (Psalms 30:5). We can trust the loving hand of the One who knows our deepest pain.
Psalms 44:17 is the cry of a people who don’t understand why they’re suffering. How does this resonate with your experience?
How do you react when faced with tough times? Do you allow what you perceive to be unfair to drive you to God, or do you push Him away? Why?
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more