Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
They are more desirable
than gold, even the finest
gold. They are sweeter
than honey, even honey
dripping from the comb
In Eugene Peterson’s Eat This Book, he tells the story
of his 7-year-old grandson Hans who appeared to
be devoutly reading his New Testament as he sat on
a park bench. The boy’s eyes moved back and forth
across the pages of the Bible, denying the fact that he
had not yet learned how to read.
Similarly, we can consistently “read” God’s Word
without comprehending its message for our lives.
In Psalm 19:7-11, David lifts up the matchless wisdom of
God’s Word. He makes six statements about it, in which
each contains the phrase “of the Lord.” The title “Lord”
is from the Hebrew word Yahweh—the covenant name
of God. God is relational and He speaks to us in His
Word. David reveals this important truth about Scripture: It
proceeds from God Himself.
So the way we read the Bible is vital. Do we read it
merely for information, principles, or truths that we can
use to live better? Or do we read it in order to listen to
God and respond in prayer and obedience?
In Psalm 19, David also lists four qualities of the Bible
(perfect, trustworthy, right, clear), and the four results
of following its truth (reviving the soul, making wise the
simple, bringing joy to the heart, giving insight for living).
Notice that the whole person is affected—the soul, the
mind, and the heart.
No wonder David proclaims that God’s Word is “more
desirable than gold, even the finest gold” (v.10). Yes, Scripture is infinitely more
precious than anything this world has to offer. And it’s “sweeter than honey, even
honey dripping from the comb.” This imagery encourages us to savor God’s
Word, to eat the book and truly take in its life-changing, life-sustaining wisdom.
—Poh Fang Chia
• Psalm 119:11
• 1 Peter 2:2
• James 1:22-25
How do you read your Bible? What does it
mean to actually live out the wisdom we find in its
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more