Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
"Child," said the Voice, "I am telling you your story, not hers. I tell no one any story but his own."
That quote, from C. S. Lewis' A Horse and His Boy, continues the allegorical tales of Narnia through the eyes of a young boy named Shasta. Facing adventure and hardship, he appears at first to be a wanderer with no history or future. But great destiny lies within him. To find his purpose, though, he must learn to trust the One who has known his story from the beginning. He must also accept that certain events are not his to know.
Peter faced the same dilemma. In one of several appearances following His resurrection, Jesus spoke to the places in Peter that needed to be rock solid. The core of Peter's identity had to be based in a committed love for Christ. Not a love that talked about action (Matthew 26:35; John 13:36-38), but a love willing to pay the price. Jesus then prophesied of Peter's eventual martyrdom.
Peter's response was a familiar one. Referring to John, he asked, "What about him, Lord?" (John 21:21). Bringing Peter back to the heart of the issue, Jesus reminded him, "As for you, follow Me" (v.22). The only story Peter needed to know was his own. The temptation to base our obedience on what we see in another's story is real, but some things are not for us to know. Never intending to deny Christ, Peter allowed the things he did not understand to dictate his actions. His life held promise of great destiny, but in order to live it, he had to learn to trust and obey even when he didn't understand.
God is big enough to handle our questions, but do we trust Him enough to obey even when He simply answers, "Follow Me"? , Regina Franklin, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more