Next StepsHave you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?
Top Christian Music Videos
When Walls Fall
Then the people of Israel traveled to the plains of Moab and camped east of the Jordan River, across from Jericho (22:1).
Every Monday evening at 8:30 p.m., the walls of my house begin to vibrate. Far from any earthquake tremors, my house instead responds to the sound of my husband and the young men in his small group as they begin their time of worship in song. As I sit upstairs, I love to hear their deep voices resonating throughout the house. It’s the sound of strength.
Worship is powerful, and the book of Acts (16:16-26) records how Paul and Silas—in prison for preaching and practicing the freedom of Christ—faced their chains with God’s worthiness on their tongues. Consequently, the very earth responded, demonstrating that our worship of the one true God breaks the strongholds of darkness in our lives.
But it wasn’t the first time God brought down the walls.
The city of Jericho’s fallen barriers have become a well-known symbol of what can be done through the power of praise and obedience (Joshua 6:1-20). Ironically, though, the day the walls came down wasn’t the only time the Israelites had been in the area. Numbers 22 tells of the first generation of Israelites who came out of Egypt and who, at one point, camped with only a river between them and the city. Sadly, the victory was not to be theirs.
Balak could rage and demand that they be cursed, but even a king bent on their destruction could not undo the promises of God for their lives. Their downfall was much simpler. They gave in to seduction and then succumbed to the worship of self (25:1-3).
More than a physical river to stop them, they were denied the promise because of their refusal to be led by the Spirit of God. The choice is ours: Will we be driven by our flesh or watch the miraculous unfold as walls fall?
Read Genesis 22:1 to see how Abraham’s worship was an important step in the fulfillment of God’s promise for his life.
Why is our worship so powerful? What steps do you need to take to refuse temptation? How can your worship change any “Jericho” situations you’re facing?
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more