Offering Refuge and HopeHow can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?
Top Music Videos
The Ultimate Question
If you want to be My disciple, you must hate everyone else by comparison—your father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even your own life (v.26).
Fred Meijer was one of the wealthiest men in the world. His Meijer stores were the first to combine food and general merchandise under one roof. When he died his fortune put him in select company. But he wore his wealth lightly, often dropping by his shops and revealing a kind heart as he greeted customers, passed out coupons for free ice cream and even bagged shopping.
His generous spirit made the news from his funeral that much harder to take. Fred’s Christian friends had long worried that he didn’t know Jesus, but the preacher at his funeral pretended that that didn’t matter. “How do you inherit eternal life?” the pastor asked the mourners: “By being a good neighbor, like Fred was.” I pray that Fred believed more than this, for that is a tragically wrong answer.
A young ruler once asked Jesus the same question, “What must I do to inherit eternal life?” When the man affirmed that he had kept many of the Ten Commandments—things that could lead him to also be a good neighbor, Jesus replied that he hadn’t done enough. “Go and sell your possessions and give the money to the poor . . . . Then come, follow Me.” But the man concluded that the price was too high, “and he went away sad” (Mark 10:17).
The man was not necessarily being materialistic. But Jesus knew his heart. He had to choose between treasure on earth and treasure in heaven. Because the man’s wealth was an obstacle to his faith, Jesus said it was “impossible” for him to be saved (Luke 18:24).
How do you inherit eternal life? Put the whole world—family, friends, money and sex—on one side, and nothing but Jesus on the other. Which do you choose?
Read Matthew 16:24 to discover the ultimate questions that all people must answer (v.26).
Who or what do you value more than Jesus? Why does this not only threaten your salvation but also prevent you from properly loving those things?
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more
- Starting Small - Read Philippians 1:6 and consider how God will finish the good work He started in you....read more
- “For God’s Sake!” - What have been your responses to particularly painful moments in life?...read more