John's QuestionWhat steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?
Top Music Videos
The Ultimate Question
If you want to be My disciple, you must hate everyone else by comparison—your father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even your own life (v.26).
Fred Meijer was one of the wealthiest men in the world. His Meijer stores were the first to combine food and general merchandise under one roof. When he died his fortune put him in select company. But he wore his wealth lightly, often dropping by his shops and revealing a kind heart as he greeted customers, passed out coupons for free ice cream and even bagged shopping.
His generous spirit made the news from his funeral that much harder to take. Fred’s Christian friends had long worried that he didn’t know Jesus, but the preacher at his funeral pretended that that didn’t matter. “How do you inherit eternal life?” the pastor asked the mourners: “By being a good neighbor, like Fred was.” I pray that Fred believed more than this, for that is a tragically wrong answer.
A young ruler once asked Jesus the same question, “What must I do to inherit eternal life?” When the man affirmed that he had kept many of the Ten Commandments—things that could lead him to also be a good neighbor, Jesus replied that he hadn’t done enough. “Go and sell your possessions and give the money to the poor . . . . Then come, follow Me.” But the man concluded that the price was too high, “and he went away sad” (Mark 10:17).
The man was not necessarily being materialistic. But Jesus knew his heart. He had to choose between treasure on earth and treasure in heaven. Because the man’s wealth was an obstacle to his faith, Jesus said it was “impossible” for him to be saved (Luke 18:24).
How do you inherit eternal life? Put the whole world—family, friends, money and sex—on one side, and nothing but Jesus on the other. Which do you choose?
Read Matthew 16:24 to discover the ultimate questions that all people must answer (v.26).
Who or what do you value more than Jesus? Why does this not only threaten your salvation but also prevent you from properly loving those things?
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more