LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
The Big Three
This same good news. . . is bearing fruit everywhere by changing
lives, just as it changed your lives from the day you first heard and
understood the truth about God’s wonderful grace (v.6).
My good friend Dan Keating is one of the most
accomplished charter boat captains for salmon
and trout on Lake Michigan. Over the past
25-plus years, he’s averaged an astounding 17 fish
caught per charter.
Captain Dan (not to be mistaken for Lieutenant Dan
from Forrest Gump), knows that to survive in the charterfishing
business he must locate fish day in and day
out. Locating salmon in the vast open waters of the
Great Lakes boils down to paying attention to three key
factors: cold water, baitfish, and structure. Decades of
experience on the water has taught this master angler
that the intersection of these three elements is where he
will consistently find the fish.
The New Testament teaches that the Christian life is
lived in the intersection of three basic elements: faith,
hope, and love. For example, the apostle Paul spoke
of this connection between the “big three” when he
affirmed the Christians in Colosse: “For we have heard
of your faith in Christ Jesus and your love for all of God’s
people, which come from your confident hope of what
God has reserved for you in heaven” (Colossians 1:4).
Paul also reminded the believers in Galatia that “we
who live by the Spirit eagerly wait [i.e., hope] to receive
by faith the righteousness God has promised to us.
For when we place our faith in Christ Jesus, there is no
benefit in being circumcised or being uncircumcised. What is important is faith
expressing itself in love” (Galatians 5:5).
Faith, hope, and love are a powerful trio. They make up the essence and fruit
of the “good news” of Jesus Christ (Colossians 1:3). Working together, they
sum up what life in Jesus is all about.
Notice the emphasis Paul put on faith, hope, and love in 1 Corinthians 1:13.
What does it mean for you to be a person of faith, hope, and love?
How are you living out the good news before those in your sphere of
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more