True FellowshipWhat comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?
Top Music Videos
The Big Three
This same good news. . . is bearing fruit everywhere by changing
lives, just as it changed your lives from the day you first heard and
understood the truth about God’s wonderful grace (v.6).
My good friend Dan Keating is one of the most
accomplished charter boat captains for salmon
and trout on Lake Michigan. Over the past
25-plus years, he’s averaged an astounding 17 fish
caught per charter.
Captain Dan (not to be mistaken for Lieutenant Dan
from Forrest Gump), knows that to survive in the charterfishing
business he must locate fish day in and day
out. Locating salmon in the vast open waters of the
Great Lakes boils down to paying attention to three key
factors: cold water, baitfish, and structure. Decades of
experience on the water has taught this master angler
that the intersection of these three elements is where he
will consistently find the fish.
The New Testament teaches that the Christian life is
lived in the intersection of three basic elements: faith,
hope, and love. For example, the apostle Paul spoke
of this connection between the “big three” when he
affirmed the Christians in Colosse: “For we have heard
of your faith in Christ Jesus and your love for all of God’s
people, which come from your confident hope of what
God has reserved for you in heaven” (Colossians 1:4).
Paul also reminded the believers in Galatia that “we
who live by the Spirit eagerly wait [i.e., hope] to receive
by faith the righteousness God has promised to us.
For when we place our faith in Christ Jesus, there is no
benefit in being circumcised or being uncircumcised. What is important is faith
expressing itself in love” (Galatians 5:5).
Faith, hope, and love are a powerful trio. They make up the essence and fruit
of the “good news” of Jesus Christ (Colossians 1:3). Working together, they
sum up what life in Jesus is all about.
Notice the emphasis Paul put on faith, hope, and love in 1 Corinthians 1:13.
What does it mean for you to be a person of faith, hope, and love?
How are you living out the good news before those in your sphere of
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more
- The Art of Joy - What has hindered you from experiencing joy this week?...read more