DistractionWhat’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?
Top Christian Music Videos
I tell you not to worry about everyday life (v.25).
According to the World Health Organization, Americans are more prone to anxiety than people in other nations. The study revealed that 31 percent of Americans suffer from this disorder at some point in their lifetime. The chief culprits that lead to this anxiety are money, work, and the pressure to achieve and succeed. According to the study, Americans’ anxiety is five times higher than that of people in Third World nations.
Long before the World Health Organization collected data and came to their conclusions, Jesus already knew that the human heart was prone to anxiety. So, on the sloping Galilean hillside, in the most powerful sermon ever heard, Jesus gave several reasons why it was irrational for His followers to live in submission to anxiety.
According to Jesus, worry is irrational because life is more than food and clothing (Matthew 6:25), God knows and meets His children’s needs (v.26), worry doesn’t accomplish anything (v.27), and worry is godless (v.32). Jesus’ teaching combats the error that denies God’s care and love by supposing that we can establish our own bright future by temporarily securing our own life needs.
How can we begin to worry less? First, by asking God to search our hearts for any anxious thoughts (Psalm 139:23). Second, by casting all our cares upon God (Psalm 55:22; Philippians 4:6-7). Third, by trusting that our heavenly Father knows our needs and will care for us (Matthew 6:32); His steadfast love will uphold us, and His consolation will encourage our hearts (Psalm 94:18-19).
Finally, we should live God-centered and Spirit-empowered lives (Matthew 6:33; Romans 8:6). When we trust God in our season of worry, our lives will exhibit the blessing and hope that only He can provide (Jeremiah 17:7-8).
Read Philippians 4:6-7 and see what we should do with our worry.
What causes you to get anxious? How can you begin to worry less and trust God more?
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more
- Shared Responsibility - Have you ever apologized for the actions of someone else?...read more
- How Much God Loves You - What prevents you from accepting God’s love?...read more