Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
I tell you not to worry about everyday life (v.25).
According to the World Health Organization, Americans are more prone to anxiety than people in other nations. The study revealed that 31 percent of Americans suffer from this disorder at some point in their lifetime. The chief culprits that lead to this anxiety are money, work, and the pressure to achieve and succeed. According to the study, Americans’ anxiety is five times higher than that of people in Third World nations.
Long before the World Health Organization collected data and came to their conclusions, Jesus already knew that the human heart was prone to anxiety. So, on the sloping Galilean hillside, in the most powerful sermon ever heard, Jesus gave several reasons why it was irrational for His followers to live in submission to anxiety.
According to Jesus, worry is irrational because life is more than food and clothing (Matthew 6:25), God knows and meets His children’s needs (v.26), worry doesn’t accomplish anything (v.27), and worry is godless (v.32). Jesus’ teaching combats the error that denies God’s care and love by supposing that we can establish our own bright future by temporarily securing our own life needs.
How can we begin to worry less? First, by asking God to search our hearts for any anxious thoughts (Psalm 139:23). Second, by casting all our cares upon God (Psalm 55:22; Philippians 4:6-7). Third, by trusting that our heavenly Father knows our needs and will care for us (Matthew 6:32); His steadfast love will uphold us, and His consolation will encourage our hearts (Psalm 94:18-19).
Finally, we should live God-centered and Spirit-empowered lives (Matthew 6:33; Romans 8:6). When we trust God in our season of worry, our lives will exhibit the blessing and hope that only He can provide (Jeremiah 17:7-8).
Read Philippians 4:6-7 and see what we should do with our worry.
What causes you to get anxious? How can you begin to worry less and trust God more?
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more