Generous HeartsHave you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?
Top Christian Music Videos
I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocate, who will
never leave you (v.16).
When I was asked to say a few words at
the farewell dinner for a friend who was
emigrating, I Googled for some help. Here’s
a sampling of what I found: “Every goodbye makes the
next hello closer.” “It is the end of something simple and
the beginning of everything else.” That last quote got
me thinking about what Jesus said when He gave His
farewell speech (John 13–16).
Jesus was returning to the Father (John 14:12). He said,
“It is best for you that I go away” (John 16:7). Only then
would the Father send them a gift—“another Advocate”
(14:16), “the Holy Spirit” (v.17).
The word Advocate or Paraklétos (John 14:16,26;
15:26; 16:7)—“one who helps or enables another
person,” is difficult to truly define. So the words
“Advocate” (NLT), “Helper” (NKJV), “Counselor” (NIV),
“Comforter” (KJV), “Companion” (CEB), “Intercessor,
Strengthener” (AMPLIFIED), and “Friend” (THE MESSAGE) are
all used to describe who the Holy Spirit is.
The Spirit is “another Advocate” (v.16). Two different
Greek words are translated “another”—Heteros,
another of a different kind; and allos, another of the
same kind. The Spirit is allos Paraklétos, an Advocate
of the same kind. Jesus, our Paraklétos (1 John 2:1),
sent His representative (John 14:26), not an inferior or
subordinate substitute, but an equal. The Spirit continues
Jesus’ ministry—comforting, encouraging, guiding,
strengthening, and teaching us everything—reminding
and enlightening us to all that Jesus taught (v.26, 16:12-15).
Jesus said “goodbye” to His disciples. But the Spirit’s “hello” marked the
beginning of something else—the birth of the church (Acts 2:1-21) and the
continuing ministry of Jesus through us (John 14:12; Acts 1:8).
Read Acts 2 to find out about the day when the Father fulfilled Jesus’
promise and gave the Holy Spirit to His people, the church.
What did Jesus mean when He said that the Holy Spirit “will be in
you”? (John 14:17, see also 1 Corinthians 6:19-20). How should this
affect the way you live your life? (John 14:15,21; Romans 8:2,5-17).
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more
- Real Faith - Read 1 Peter 1:6-9 and consider how real faith is tested and refined....read more