Encouragement ExchangeHow could you give encouragement to someone today?
Top Music Videos
I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocate, who will
never leave you (v.16).
When I was asked to say a few words at
the farewell dinner for a friend who was
emigrating, I Googled for some help. Here’s
a sampling of what I found: “Every goodbye makes the
next hello closer.” “It is the end of something simple and
the beginning of everything else.” That last quote got
me thinking about what Jesus said when He gave His
farewell speech (John 13–16).
Jesus was returning to the Father (John 14:12). He said,
“It is best for you that I go away” (John 16:7). Only then
would the Father send them a gift—“another Advocate”
(14:16), “the Holy Spirit” (v.17).
The word Advocate or Paraklétos (John 14:16,26;
15:26; 16:7)—“one who helps or enables another
person,” is difficult to truly define. So the words
“Advocate” (NLT), “Helper” (NKJV), “Counselor” (NIV),
“Comforter” (KJV), “Companion” (CEB), “Intercessor,
Strengthener” (AMPLIFIED), and “Friend” (THE MESSAGE) are
all used to describe who the Holy Spirit is.
The Spirit is “another Advocate” (v.16). Two different
Greek words are translated “another”—Heteros,
another of a different kind; and allos, another of the
same kind. The Spirit is allos Paraklétos, an Advocate
of the same kind. Jesus, our Paraklétos (1 John 2:1),
sent His representative (John 14:26), not an inferior or
subordinate substitute, but an equal. The Spirit continues
Jesus’ ministry—comforting, encouraging, guiding,
strengthening, and teaching us everything—reminding
and enlightening us to all that Jesus taught (v.26, 16:12-15).
Jesus said “goodbye” to His disciples. But the Spirit’s “hello” marked the
beginning of something else—the birth of the church (Acts 2:1-21) and the
continuing ministry of Jesus through us (John 14:12; Acts 1:8).
Read Acts 2 to find out about the day when the Father fulfilled Jesus’
promise and gave the Holy Spirit to His people, the church.
What did Jesus mean when He said that the Holy Spirit “will be in
you”? (John 14:17, see also 1 Corinthians 6:19-20). How should this
affect the way you live your life? (John 14:15,21; Romans 8:2,5-17).
- Encouragement Exchange - How could you give encouragement to someone today?...read more
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more