Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
The actress Cameron Diaz explained why none of her romantic relationships have led to marriage. "I think that what I've found . . . is that you always find the person you're meant to be with at that time in your life. And what I've also found is that you have to move on from those people at certain times, because that's the way it happens. . . . A lot of people find themselves trapped in something they've outgrown and are unhappy. And they don't know how to get out of it because they think they're supposed to make it happen."
This attitude may be acceptable when dating, but too many people bring it into their marriage. "Till death do us part" becomes "You're the person I want to be with at this period in my life," and they quickly discard their spouse when they've "outgrown the relationship" or the chemistry is no longer working. Then, in a futile quest to "find themselves," they tear apart their family and ruin the lives of everyone in it (Proverbs 5:15-17).
But what if love doesn't mean "what makes me happy or meets my needs this very moment"? What if we replaced this thin view of love with the muscular love of God? "God loved the world so much that He" . . . what? Tingled with happiness? Got wobbly in the knees? Used the world to find Himself? No. "God loved the world so much that He gave His one and only Son" (John 3:16).
The cross is the greatest act of love, not because it filled God with warm feelings, but because God put us ahead of Himself and chose to die for us.
How about you? Will you chase Hollywood's idea of happiness, or will you commit to spend your life with your spouse? (Proverbs 5:18). Choose love. , Mike Wittmer, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more