Taking on Too MuchWhat are you trying to take on that only God can do
Top Music Videos
The Lord said to Moses, “How long will these people treat Me with
contempt? Will they never believe Me, even after all the miraculous
signs I have done among them?” (v.11).
Grumble Rumble is a website that allows you to air
your complaints. It claims: “Our goal is to help
you improve your life surroundings and reduce
your stress by providing an easy, simple platform to
register and resolve complaints.”
If there had been a website like this during Moses’
time, the Israelites would surely have been among its key
patrons. Three days after they marched out from Mount
Sinai they started to grumble (Numbers 11:1). A short
time later, they were grumbling again. We want our
garlic! And like little children deprived of their toys, they
sat at the door of their tents and held pity parties (vv.4-
10). The next incident came up in Numbers 12:1. This
time the complaint was about leadership.
Israel had developed a pattern of grumbling. By the
time we reach Numbers 14, it was “the last straw.” God
was gracious and longsuffering, but the time finally came
when enough was enough. Israel reached that point at
Kadesh. The Lord said to Moses, “How long will these
people treat Me with contempt? Will they never believe
Me, even after all the miraculous signs I have done
among them?” (v.11).
The Israelites had witnessed the 10 plagues that
God brought upon Egypt. They had seen God part the
Red Sea before them. They had seen and heard the
evidences of God’s majestic presence at Mount Sinai
(Exodus 19:16). And in the Sinai wilderness, God had performed daily
miracles as He cared for His chosen people and their livestock.
Let’s avoid the Israelites’ example. When we complain, we lose sight of all the
good things God is doing. Ultimately, we lose faith and drag others down with
us. No grumbles. No rumbles. Humble gratitude is what God deserves from us.
How can you replace your grumblings with praise and thanksgiving?
What does your grumbling reveal about your true view of God?
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more