LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
Blaise Pascal once said the now-famous words: "There is a God-shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which [can] be filled . . . only be filled by God." St. Augustine once prayed, "Our hearts are restless until they find their rest in You." In Revelation 21 we see the end of human longing, the heart at rest in relationship with its Creator in His eternal kingdom.
Something we spend less time thinking about, however, is the longing that God has, a longing that will also be fulfilled on that great day. Now, to be sure, an omnipotent, self-sufficient God doesn't lack anything. We don't meet God's needs. But throughout biblical history, God has expressed His longing for us: "You will be Mine."
â€¢ "I will claim you as My own people, and I will be your God" (Exodus 6:7). â€¢ "I will be your God, and you will be My people" (Leviticus 26:12). â€¢ "I will put My instructions deep within them, and I will write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be My people" (Jeremiah 31:33). â€¢ "You will live in Israel, the land I gave your ancestors long ago. You will be My people, and I will be your God" (Ezekiel 36:28).
For thousands of years, God has had one desire, a people drawn to Himself. This longing has fueled His missionary endeavors: sending prophets to call back His straying people, sending His Son to find His straying sheep (Luke 19:10). In the kingdom of God, His desire will finally be fulfilled: "I will be their God, and they will be My children" (Revelation 21:7).
God is our King and Judge, that's true. But we often miss His Father heart, a heart that longs for our free, loving, devoted allegiance to Him; a heart that awaits that longing to be fulfilled. , Sheridan Voysey, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more