Always ThereDo you believe that the Lord is always with you?
Top Music Videos
Is anyone here afraid or worried? (v.8).
I rolled up my sleeve and looked away. The injection
of immunoglobulin was going to sting, and I knew
it. I knew, however, that it could prevent a battle
with Hepatitis A. One of my family members had been
exposed to the highly contagious disease—which karatekicks
the liver—and health authorities had recommended
vaccinations for everyone in my household.
There’s an emotional ailment that can also be quite
“catchy.” Fear. Moses advised his military leaders to
take a pre-battle poll of the troops and ask, “Is anyone
here afraid or worried?” (Deuteronomy 20:8). Soldiers
who admitted their anxiety were discharged before they
could scare off anyone else. The commanders wanted to
prevent the panic of a few from contaminating the entire
When we advertise and live out our fear, it can spread
to others. Parents pass phobias on to children. Friends
infect other friends with superstitions. Employees alarm their
co-workers when the fate of the company is in question.
Fortunately, there’s a way to stop the spread of panic.
Moses prescribed this message for fearful soldiers: “Do
not be afraid as you go out to fight your enemies today!
Do not lose heart or panic or tremble before them!” (v.3).
In other words, Be brave. Stand tall. Don’t back down,
because “the Lord your God is going with you! He will
fight for you . . . and He will give you victory!” (v.4).
The promise of God’s presence wasn’t just for the Israelites. He’s with us too,
even today (Matthew 28:20). Because of that, we can say, “I know the Lord is
always with me. I will not be shaken, for He is right beside me” (Psalms 16:8).
When we put this into practice, fear will lose its foothold in our lives. Friends
and family may start to notice. For courage is contagious too.
How might you inspire a fearful person to have courage? How can
awareness of God’s presence deter us from coping with fear in
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more