Right and Wrong WordsIs your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?
Top Christian Music Videos
Is anyone here afraid or worried? (v.8).
I rolled up my sleeve and looked away. The injection
of immunoglobulin was going to sting, and I knew
it. I knew, however, that it could prevent a battle
with Hepatitis A. One of my family members had been
exposed to the highly contagious disease—which karatekicks
the liver—and health authorities had recommended
vaccinations for everyone in my household.
There’s an emotional ailment that can also be quite
“catchy.” Fear. Moses advised his military leaders to
take a pre-battle poll of the troops and ask, “Is anyone
here afraid or worried?” (Deuteronomy 20:8). Soldiers
who admitted their anxiety were discharged before they
could scare off anyone else. The commanders wanted to
prevent the panic of a few from contaminating the entire
When we advertise and live out our fear, it can spread
to others. Parents pass phobias on to children. Friends
infect other friends with superstitions. Employees alarm their
co-workers when the fate of the company is in question.
Fortunately, there’s a way to stop the spread of panic.
Moses prescribed this message for fearful soldiers: “Do
not be afraid as you go out to fight your enemies today!
Do not lose heart or panic or tremble before them!” (v.3).
In other words, Be brave. Stand tall. Don’t back down,
because “the Lord your God is going with you! He will
fight for you . . . and He will give you victory!” (v.4).
The promise of God’s presence wasn’t just for the Israelites. He’s with us too,
even today (Matthew 28:20). Because of that, we can say, “I know the Lord is
always with me. I will not be shaken, for He is right beside me” (Psalms 16:8).
When we put this into practice, fear will lose its foothold in our lives. Friends
and family may start to notice. For courage is contagious too.
How might you inspire a fearful person to have courage? How can
awareness of God’s presence deter us from coping with fear in
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more