Connecting the DotsWhat good work is God doing in your life?
Top Music Videos
Don’t just listen to God’s Word. You must do what it says. Otherwise,
you are only fooling yourselves (1:22).
Walk into her house and a showcase living room
quickly commands your attention. Ornate,
expensive furniture populates rooms tastefully
embellished with understated artwork. A lavish floral
arrangement adorns a perfectly lit breakfast nook.
But no one ever sits on the furniture. The flower-shaped
soaps in the soap dish never clean anyone’s hands; the
towels in the kitchen and bathroom don’t dry anything.
Everything you see is for show. Soon enough, the host
ushers you to the basement. It’s not nearly as attractive,
but downstairs is where the actual living takes place.
Most of us maintain a similar façade in our lives.
When I’m angry with my wife or snap at my kids, but
then I answer the phone and my voice suddenly becomes
pleasant, I’m presenting to that caller only the upstairs of
my life. If I lead everyone to believe that my spiritual life
has only minor struggles, I’m not bringing the real me.
The apostle James warned about the self-deception
we’re so susceptible to: “Don’t just listen to God’s Word,”
he said. “You must do what it says” (James 1:22). Then
he pointed out some specific areas where we all fall
down. “If you claim to be religious but don’t control your
tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is
Next, he took additional aim at religion simply based
on appearances: “How can you claim to have faith in
our glorious Lord Jesus Christ if you favor some people over others?” he asked
(2:1). “Doesn’t this discrimination show that your judgments are guided by evil
An attractive house with two sets of living space is one thing. But a life that
hides reality from the world is of no use to anyone. True religion requires honesty
with ourselves, with each other, and with God.
Jesus had some extremely harsh words for the hypocritical religious
leaders of His day. Read Matthew 23:1 to see what He said to them.
What would happen if people could see how you really are? What do
you think others would look like if you could see them as they really are?
How does God view you?
- Connecting the Dots - What good work is God doing in your life?...read more
- Responding to Suffering - How do you feel when your life is interrupted by suffering and adversity?...read more
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more