Choosing to ForgetWhat painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?
Top Christian Music Videos
Don’t just listen to God’s Word. You must do what it says. Otherwise,
you are only fooling yourselves (1:22).
Walk into her house and a showcase living room
quickly commands your attention. Ornate,
expensive furniture populates rooms tastefully
embellished with understated artwork. A lavish floral
arrangement adorns a perfectly lit breakfast nook.
But no one ever sits on the furniture. The flower-shaped
soaps in the soap dish never clean anyone’s hands; the
towels in the kitchen and bathroom don’t dry anything.
Everything you see is for show. Soon enough, the host
ushers you to the basement. It’s not nearly as attractive,
but downstairs is where the actual living takes place.
Most of us maintain a similar façade in our lives.
When I’m angry with my wife or snap at my kids, but
then I answer the phone and my voice suddenly becomes
pleasant, I’m presenting to that caller only the upstairs of
my life. If I lead everyone to believe that my spiritual life
has only minor struggles, I’m not bringing the real me.
The apostle James warned about the self-deception
we’re so susceptible to: “Don’t just listen to God’s Word,”
he said. “You must do what it says” (James 1:22). Then
he pointed out some specific areas where we all fall
down. “If you claim to be religious but don’t control your
tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is
Next, he took additional aim at religion simply based
on appearances: “How can you claim to have faith in
our glorious Lord Jesus Christ if you favor some people over others?” he asked
(2:1). “Doesn’t this discrimination show that your judgments are guided by evil
An attractive house with two sets of living space is one thing. But a life that
hides reality from the world is of no use to anyone. True religion requires honesty
with ourselves, with each other, and with God.
Jesus had some extremely harsh words for the hypocritical religious
leaders of His day. Read Matthew 23:1 to see what He said to them.
What would happen if people could see how you really are? What do
you think others would look like if you could see them as they really are?
How does God view you?
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more