LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
Wang Guiying is 107 years old and looking for love. Born in the southern Guizhou province of China, she steered clear of marriage until this point because she grew up watching her uncles criticize and abuse their wives. According to the centenarian, "All the married people . . . lived like that. Getting married was too frightening."
Like this woman, the idea of commitment is enough to make many of us cower. God's ideas about marriage, however, make us brave when we hear wedding bells.
A big part of this courage comes from remembering that God is our ultimate source of love, provision, and protection, even within marriage. Due to our humanness, we will inevitably disappoint our spouse and our spouse will disappoint us, but God will never let us down. Maybe that's why Peter praised women who "trusted God and accepted the authority of their husbands" (1 Peter 3:5).
If you're a woman, that "male authority" thing might have you running scared. Fortunately, God's plan for marriage includes mutual submission (Ephesians 5:21). Building on that foundation, Paul tells wives to submit to their husbands "as to the Lord" (v.22). Guys are supposed to honor their wives, to love them (vv.28-29), and "never treat them harshly" (Colossians 3:19). And all believers in Jesus are supposed to "be of one mind. Sympathize with each other. Be tenderhearted, and keep a humble attitude" (1 Peter 3:8).
Still, many of us have witnessed just the opposite within marriage. Bad marital behavior, however, carries consequences.
God takes marriage seriously. With His help, we can fight the fear that makes us too worried to wed. , Jennifer Benson Schuldt, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more