Calling on the AirIn what ways have you called on God for direction ?
Top Christian Music Videos
You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its
flavor? Can you make it salty again? It will be thrown out and trampled
underfoot as worthless (v.13).
In his book Transforming Children into Spiritual
Champions, George Barna reveals this interesting
research statistic: Children are eight times more likely
to accept Jesus as their Savior than teenagers and adults.
Barna’s findings are important. Along with the
practical implication of needing to present God’s truth
to the young, it made me wonder if we shouldn’t take
a step back and consider why there’s such a significant
drop in the percentage of teenagers and adults coming
to faith in Christ. Obviously, the fact that they’re not as
open-minded as children is a big part of the reason. Still, I’m wondering if the drop-off isn’t partly due to a
misunderstanding of what it means to be the “salt of the
earth” (Matthew 5:13).
Salt has many uses. But what did Jesus have in mind?
The Christian circles I grew up in interpreted salt to be
a preservative. From this I was taught that our role is to
be the moral police force and preserve morality in our
culture. But if you listen to Jesus’ own words, it’s plain to
see that He meant something entirely different—“But what
good is salt if it has lost its flavor?” (v.13).
To be salty, as Jesus intended, is to add flavor. It is
about enhancing taste, leaving others wanting more.
God may call some of us to speak against immorality
in terms of the harm it causes others. But I wonder how
many of us wag our fingers at the depravity of our world
to such a harsh degree that it keeps us from lifting up what life with Jesus has to
offer in its place?
Jesus, free us to offer a tasty sampling of Your real life that will leave teens
and adults wanting more of all that is found in You.
How did Jesus describe the life found in Him in John 10:10?
What are some tangible ways you can live a more “salty” life? How will you
flavor your relationships with God’s reality today?
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more
- Avoiding Ditches - What distractions are you facing?...read more
- Leading Somewhere Good - How are you seeking to walk with God today?...read more
- Songs in the Night - What’s your favorite worship song?...read more