Always ThereDo you believe that the Lord is always with you?
Top Music Videos
You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its
flavor? Can you make it salty again? It will be thrown out and trampled
underfoot as worthless (v.13).
In his book Transforming Children into Spiritual
Champions, George Barna reveals this interesting
research statistic: Children are eight times more likely
to accept Jesus as their Savior than teenagers and adults.
Barna’s findings are important. Along with the
practical implication of needing to present God’s truth
to the young, it made me wonder if we shouldn’t take
a step back and consider why there’s such a significant
drop in the percentage of teenagers and adults coming
to faith in Christ. Obviously, the fact that they’re not as
open-minded as children is a big part of the reason. Still, I’m wondering if the drop-off isn’t partly due to a
misunderstanding of what it means to be the “salt of the
earth” (Matthew 5:13).
Salt has many uses. But what did Jesus have in mind?
The Christian circles I grew up in interpreted salt to be
a preservative. From this I was taught that our role is to
be the moral police force and preserve morality in our
culture. But if you listen to Jesus’ own words, it’s plain to
see that He meant something entirely different—“But what
good is salt if it has lost its flavor?” (v.13).
To be salty, as Jesus intended, is to add flavor. It is
about enhancing taste, leaving others wanting more.
God may call some of us to speak against immorality
in terms of the harm it causes others. But I wonder how
many of us wag our fingers at the depravity of our world
to such a harsh degree that it keeps us from lifting up what life with Jesus has to
offer in its place?
Jesus, free us to offer a tasty sampling of Your real life that will leave teens
and adults wanting more of all that is found in You.
How did Jesus describe the life found in Him in John 10:10?
What are some tangible ways you can live a more “salty” life? How will you
flavor your relationships with God’s reality today?
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more