Rich in Good WorksHow can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?
Top Music Videos
Caroline Petrie was suspended without pay last year. Her offense? She offered to pray for an elderly patient to whom she was giving care. When the married mom of two was informed of her discipline, she expressed sadness and surprise, but she didn't lash out at her accuser or those who suspended her.
Her response reminds me a lot of Hannah's in 1 Samuel 1. Her husband, Elkanah, had unwisely (and against God's plan for marriage, Genesis 2:24) married another woman, possibly so that he could have children (v.2; see also Genesis 16:1-3, 30:3-10). This led to some ugly behavior. Peninnah, wife no. 2, taunted Hannah, gloating in the fact that she had borne Elkanah children while Hannah had none (v.6).
So how did Hannah respond to these attacks? Did she mount a counterattack and send back a volley of insults, including the fact that Elkanah actually loved her more than Peninnah? (v.5). Scripture reveals that she chose something else. She chose to pray.
Sobbing and groaning in raw, emotional pain (v.10), she poured out her heart to God (v.15). Instead of dwelling on her adversary, she chose to rest in the arms of her Advocate. And God heard her and chose to bless her with a son. She named him Samuel, for she said, "I asked the Lord for him" (v.19).
Will God always give us the desire of our heart? No. But we know He is good and that He will bring about the good works in our life that we need (Romans 8:28).
In Caroline Petrie's life, God chose to restore her job after she chose to call on Him rather than curse her adversaries. Call on God as you face your adversary. He is listening. , Tom Felten, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more