Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
While I've been a Christian for many years, there are some aspects of Jesus' life that I've only recently come to wonder about. Like what His Galilean accent really sounded like, what mannerisms He picked up from Joseph and Mary, and who His best friends were. Actually, today's passage sheds light on that last question. While Jesus called His disciples "friends" (John 15:15), it was Martha, Mary, and Lazarus who we're told that He "loved" (11:5,36).
It's funny how Jesus treats those He loves.
These two sisters, Jesus' best friends, once sent Him word: "Lord, Your dear friend is very sick" (v.3). Far from dropping everything to come to their aid, Jesus stayed where He was, seemingly ignoring their cry for help. And when He did come, He arrived at Lazarus' funeral late! (vv.17-19). The sisters understandably expressed their grief: "Lord, if only You had been here, my brother would not have died" (vv.21,32).
Surely, this is no way to treat those you love.
But Jesus had made a comment that Martha and Mary had not been privileged to hear. "Lazarus' sickness will not end in death," He'd said on receiving news of the illness. "No, it happened for the glory of God" (v.4). When He arrived, He wept (vv.33-35). As He wept, He approached the tomb. And as we know from reading the story, Jesus' mighty cry brought the beloved Lazarus out of the tomb (vv.43-44). The sisters indeed saw the glory of God (v.40).
Ever felt ignored by God? Like your cries have gone unnoticed? Could it be you didn't understand His good intentions for your crisis? Could it be that He weeps as He sees your pain? Could it be that as you wait patiently for His arrival, you will see the glory of God?
, Sheridan Voysey, Our Daily Journey CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more