Seasons of GriefAre you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?
Top Music Videos
Strong As An Ant
Ants—they aren’t strong, but they store up food all summer (Proverbs 30:25).
Thirty-five years ago, Thomas Daigle and his wife signed a home loan. On the way out of the bank, he found a penny on the ground. On a lark, they said they should save pennies to pay off their loan. Decades later, they had amassed 62,000 pennies. They hauled the accumulated coins to a bank teller to finish off their mortgage’s balance. It took bank employees 2 days to count the coins, but the Daigles’ mortgage was no more.
Proverbs speaks of ants as a noble example of the plodding power of simple diligence—sticking to your work day after day (Proverbs 30:25). Ants are fascinating. If you sit near one of their colonies and watch them in action, they’re a wonder. Tiny creatures, it takes them an hour to cover ground that would be only a few steps for me. Yet they stick to their laborious task. Even if I tire watching them, they will still be busy hours later when I return.
Ants aren’t powerful creatures. They don’t strike fear in your bones as a lion would, and they don’t have the strength of a rhino or the speed of a cheetah. However, ants quietly do what needs to be done. They survive through the winter with the nourishment they need because they continue the tedious preparation in the “summer” (Proverbs 30:25).
Our lives are often the action of ants. It seems as if we’re simply trudging through our duties. Hour after hour, it seems that we’re making little to no progress. We wonder if our tedium matters. We grow weary of much work and little result (Proverbs 30:1).
However, we work for the One who is Lord over the earth (Proverbs 30:4), the One who sees the end. Keep working. Keep watching.
Read Hebrews 11:6, remembering that “sincerely” can be translated “diligently” (NKJV). What does this say to us about our plodding faith?
How does your life resemble the life of an ant? In what area of your life is God speaking hope—encouraging you to keep moving?
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more