Autograph of the OrdinaryDo you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?
Top Christian Music Videos
Strong As An Ant
Ants—they aren’t strong, but they store up food all summer (Proverbs 30:25).
Thirty-five years ago, Thomas Daigle and his wife signed a home loan. On the way out of the bank, he found a penny on the ground. On a lark, they said they should save pennies to pay off their loan. Decades later, they had amassed 62,000 pennies. They hauled the accumulated coins to a bank teller to finish off their mortgage’s balance. It took bank employees 2 days to count the coins, but the Daigles’ mortgage was no more.
Proverbs speaks of ants as a noble example of the plodding power of simple diligence—sticking to your work day after day (Proverbs 30:25). Ants are fascinating. If you sit near one of their colonies and watch them in action, they’re a wonder. Tiny creatures, it takes them an hour to cover ground that would be only a few steps for me. Yet they stick to their laborious task. Even if I tire watching them, they will still be busy hours later when I return.
Ants aren’t powerful creatures. They don’t strike fear in your bones as a lion would, and they don’t have the strength of a rhino or the speed of a cheetah. However, ants quietly do what needs to be done. They survive through the winter with the nourishment they need because they continue the tedious preparation in the “summer” (Proverbs 30:25).
Our lives are often the action of ants. It seems as if we’re simply trudging through our duties. Hour after hour, it seems that we’re making little to no progress. We wonder if our tedium matters. We grow weary of much work and little result (Proverbs 30:1).
However, we work for the One who is Lord over the earth (Proverbs 30:4), the One who sees the end. Keep working. Keep watching.
Read Hebrews 11:6, remembering that “sincerely” can be translated “diligently” (NKJV). What does this say to us about our plodding faith?
How does your life resemble the life of an ant? In what area of your life is God speaking hope—encouraging you to keep moving?
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more