Right and Wrong WordsIs your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?
Top Christian Music Videos
We have found the Messiah (which means “Christ”) (v.41).
Nearly every year, tabloids become embroiled in scandals over their publishing of private photographs of British royalty. Contemporary figures live under scrutiny as they deal with the ever-present paparazzi. With each scandal, there’s a furious debate over the difference between news and the boundaries of privacy. The intense interest won’t wane, however. The royal family holds a title, and the title represents power and fascination.
Jesus took on a title that drew followers; but unlike the glamour of modern royals, His title meant He was surrendering Himself to death. Jesus’ title was “the Christ” (John 1:41). Though this title became used as part of His name, Jesus Christ, it was first presented as a title: the Christ.
Christ comes from the Hebrew word meaning “anointed one” and ultimately came to be a reference to the Messiah—the King in the line of David and the One who would enact God’s promises for Israel. The Christ was the One sent from God, the One for whom Israel and the whole world had waited. The Christ was the One who would bring “God’s unfailing love and faithfulness” (John 1:17).
You can imagine the upheaval, the threat to Rome and to religious authorities, when Jesus’ followers began calling him Christ. When you’re the ruler in the land (or the synagogue or the public square), you don’t take kindly to someone else asserting his rule. Jesus, however, was unlike any ruler the world had ever known. John exclaimed, “Look! There is the Lamb of God!” (1:36). John couldn’t have understood the full meaning of his words: The Christ would not rule with an iron fist but rather lay down His life, like a lamb, for the sake of love.
Read Colossians 1:1-8. Note how many times Paul uses the word Christ. Why do you think Paul emphasized this title for Jesus?
What does it mean to you for Jesus to be your Christ? What do you need to surrender to Jesus the Christ?
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more