Calling on the AirIn what ways have you called on God for direction ?
Top Christian Music Videos
We have found the Messiah (which means “Christ”) (v.41).
Nearly every year, tabloids become embroiled in scandals over their publishing of private photographs of British royalty. Contemporary figures live under scrutiny as they deal with the ever-present paparazzi. With each scandal, there’s a furious debate over the difference between news and the boundaries of privacy. The intense interest won’t wane, however. The royal family holds a title, and the title represents power and fascination.
Jesus took on a title that drew followers; but unlike the glamour of modern royals, His title meant He was surrendering Himself to death. Jesus’ title was “the Christ” (John 1:41). Though this title became used as part of His name, Jesus Christ, it was first presented as a title: the Christ.
Christ comes from the Hebrew word meaning “anointed one” and ultimately came to be a reference to the Messiah—the King in the line of David and the One who would enact God’s promises for Israel. The Christ was the One sent from God, the One for whom Israel and the whole world had waited. The Christ was the One who would bring “God’s unfailing love and faithfulness” (John 1:17).
You can imagine the upheaval, the threat to Rome and to religious authorities, when Jesus’ followers began calling him Christ. When you’re the ruler in the land (or the synagogue or the public square), you don’t take kindly to someone else asserting his rule. Jesus, however, was unlike any ruler the world had ever known. John exclaimed, “Look! There is the Lamb of God!” (1:36). John couldn’t have understood the full meaning of his words: The Christ would not rule with an iron fist but rather lay down His life, like a lamb, for the sake of love.
Read Colossians 1:1-8. Note how many times Paul uses the word Christ. Why do you think Paul emphasized this title for Jesus?
What does it mean to you for Jesus to be your Christ? What do you need to surrender to Jesus the Christ?
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more
- Avoiding Ditches - What distractions are you facing?...read more
- Leading Somewhere Good - How are you seeking to walk with God today?...read more
- Songs in the Night - What’s your favorite worship song?...read more