Always ThereDo you believe that the Lord is always with you?
Top Music Videos
I am trusting You, O Lord, saying, “You are my God!” My future is in Your hands (vv.14-15).
As I sat in the surgical waiting room, I had plenty of time to think. I’d been here before. The last time, the outcome was bad—very bad. On that day, we received the news that my only brother was “brain dead”—two devastating words.
Today was different. Alone, I listened to the room’s nervous laughter, intense phone conversations, oblivious children, and the quiet voice of God. I penned a lengthy note to my wife, letting her know how I felt. I prayed.
Soon I learned that the surgeon wanted to see me in a private room. There, in that cloistered space, I would learn the results of my wife’s surgery. As I waited in the secluded room, I noticed two boxes of tissues, conspicuously available.
I knew why the tissues were there. They’re not for the sniffles. They’re for tears. They’re for cruel phrases like “brain dead” and “inoperable.”
Psalm 31 was penned for such cruel phrases. It’s a deeply personal prayer of David, who was in such anguish that he wrote, “My years are shortened by sadness” (v.10). His grief brought the added sorrow of abandonment. “I am . . . despised by my neighbors— even my friends are afraid to come near me” (v.11).
But David dug deeply into his bedrock of faith in the one true God. “I am trusting You, O Lord, saying ‘You are my God!’ My future is in Your hands” (vv.14-15). He knew he could trust the One who had created him.
Back in the private room, the surgeon gave me good news. She told me that my wife could expect a full and complete recovery. I was relieved and deeply grateful! But if all hadn’t been “okay,” I trust that my faith wouldn’t have wavered as I declared, “You are my God!”
Job 16:11-22 reveals one man’s bewildered anguish at life’s unfairness. How can you relate to these verses?
What times of grief have you experienced? What did God teach you through those times? Why should you trust Him today?
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more