UnbreakableHow can you use your suffering to point others to God?
Top Christian Music Videos
I am trusting You, O Lord, saying, “You are my God!” My future is in Your hands (vv.14-15).
As I sat in the surgical waiting room, I had plenty of time to think. I’d been here before. The last time, the outcome was bad—very bad. On that day, we received the news that my only brother was “brain dead”—two devastating words.
Today was different. Alone, I listened to the room’s nervous laughter, intense phone conversations, oblivious children, and the quiet voice of God. I penned a lengthy note to my wife, letting her know how I felt. I prayed.
Soon I learned that the surgeon wanted to see me in a private room. There, in that cloistered space, I would learn the results of my wife’s surgery. As I waited in the secluded room, I noticed two boxes of tissues, conspicuously available.
I knew why the tissues were there. They’re not for the sniffles. They’re for tears. They’re for cruel phrases like “brain dead” and “inoperable.”
Psalm 31 was penned for such cruel phrases. It’s a deeply personal prayer of David, who was in such anguish that he wrote, “My years are shortened by sadness” (v.10). His grief brought the added sorrow of abandonment. “I am . . . despised by my neighbors— even my friends are afraid to come near me” (v.11).
But David dug deeply into his bedrock of faith in the one true God. “I am trusting You, O Lord, saying ‘You are my God!’ My future is in Your hands” (vv.14-15). He knew he could trust the One who had created him.
Back in the private room, the surgeon gave me good news. She told me that my wife could expect a full and complete recovery. I was relieved and deeply grateful! But if all hadn’t been “okay,” I trust that my faith wouldn’t have wavered as I declared, “You are my God!”
Job 16:11-22 reveals one man’s bewildered anguish at life’s unfairness. How can you relate to these verses?
What times of grief have you experienced? What did God teach you through those times? Why should you trust Him today?
- Unbreakable - How can you use your suffering to point others to God?...read more
- Treasure that Lasts - What legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?...read more
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more