WashedIn what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?
Top Music Videos
Within a week of moving to East Africa, I was summoned to a northern Ugandan hospital to help an orphaned boy named Olwa Elly. I'd befriended him months earlier on a short-term visit to Uganda. Sorrow consumed me when I arrived and found the 9-year-old lying listlessly on a filthy cot in an overcrowded, understaffed, fly-infested ward. The healthy and active Olwa Elly I once knew was now an emaciated child with an undiagnosed illness that had rendered him unrecognizable.
Two days later, Olwa Elly died. I took on the heartbreaking task of selecting his burial suit and coffin, and then joined his wailing relatives and friends as they laid the young boy's body to rest.
Olwa Elly's was the first of 11 children's funerals that I attended during my initial year in Uganda. I've come to understand that, in Africa, a continent with alarmingly high child mortality rates, multitudes are weary from the sting of death.
Again and again, I've heard African men, women, and children cry out like the psalmist David, who pleaded, "Have mercy on me, Lord, for I am in distress. Tears blur my eyes. My body and soul are withering away. I am dying from grief; my years are shortened by sadness" (Psalm 31:9-10).
You and I may not know how to abolish the wars, corruption, and diseases that claim the lives of millions of Africans each year, but we do have the capacity to pray for the desolate in foreign lands.
Today, ask God to show you how to pray for suffering around the world. Let His compassion fill you so you can echo the prophet Isaiah who said, "The Sovereign Lord has given me His words of wisdom, so that I know how to comfort the weary" (Isaiah 50:4).
, Roxanne Robbins, Our Daily Journey
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more