Spiritual StrugglesWhen you struggle spiritually, how do you react?
Top Music Videos
Within a week of moving to East Africa, I was summoned to a northern Ugandan hospital to help an orphaned boy named Olwa Elly. I'd befriended him months earlier on a short-term visit to Uganda. Sorrow consumed me when I arrived and found the 9-year-old lying listlessly on a filthy cot in an overcrowded, understaffed, fly-infested ward. The healthy and active Olwa Elly I once knew was now an emaciated child with an undiagnosed illness that had rendered him unrecognizable.
Two days later, Olwa Elly died. I took on the heartbreaking task of selecting his burial suit and coffin, and then joined his wailing relatives and friends as they laid the young boy's body to rest.
Olwa Elly's was the first of 11 children's funerals that I attended during my initial year in Uganda. I've come to understand that, in Africa, a continent with alarmingly high child mortality rates, multitudes are weary from the sting of death.
Again and again, I've heard African men, women, and children cry out like the psalmist David, who pleaded, "Have mercy on me, Lord, for I am in distress. Tears blur my eyes. My body and soul are withering away. I am dying from grief; my years are shortened by sadness" (Psalm 31:9-10).
You and I may not know how to abolish the wars, corruption, and diseases that claim the lives of millions of Africans each year, but we do have the capacity to pray for the desolate in foreign lands.
Today, ask God to show you how to pray for suffering around the world. Let His compassion fill you so you can echo the prophet Isaiah who said, "The Sovereign Lord has given me His words of wisdom, so that I know how to comfort the weary" (Isaiah 50:4).
, Roxanne Robbins, Our Daily Journey
- Spiritual Struggles - When you struggle spiritually, how do you react?...read more
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more