Out of LoveHow did God show love for us through His sacrifice?
Top Christian Music Videos
If I Were The Devil
Ezra had determined to study and obey the Law of the Lord and to
teach those decrees and regulations to the people of Israel (v.10).
In the foreword of R. C. Sproul’s book Knowing
Scripture, J. I. Packer writes: “If I were the devil . . .
one of my first aims would be to stop folk from
digging into the Bible. . . . How? Well, I should try to
distract all clergy from preaching and teaching the Bible,
and spread the feeling that to study this ancient book
directly is a burdensome extra which modern Christians
can forgo without loss. . . . At all costs I should want to
keep them from using their minds in a disciplined way to
get the measure of its messages.”
With that said, you have to believe that Satan
was once ticked at the prophet Ezra. For Ezra “had
determined to study and obey the Law of the Lord and
to teach those decrees and regulations to the people of
Israel” (7:10). The prophet was known as a “scribe who
was well versed in the Law of Moses” (v.6), and one
“who studied and taught the commands and decrees of
the Lord to Israel” (v.11).
I picture Ezra sitting at his desk, carefully copying the
holy Word of God. From time to time he pauses to—in
the words of German poet Rainer Maria—“lean back
and close his eyes over a line he has been reading
again, and let its meaning spread through his blood.”
Our reason for studying the Bible is simple—we have
a covenant relationship with God. As we study His
Word, we’re better able to understand His commands.
We need to consistently select an hour, quiet our hearts, and carefully examine
the Scriptures. But we need both understanding and application. This tandem
will allow us to reveal its life-changing wisdom to others.
Get the devil mad this week as you dig deep into God’s Word and apply its
—Poh Fang Chia.
Read Psalms 19:7 to see why it’s important to study, obey, and teach
What will you do to begin truly studying God’s Word? How does
applying God’s Word to our lives affect both us and others?
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more