Dirty LaundryWhen you need to confront someone, how do you react?
Top Christian Music Videos
If I Were The Devil
Ezra had determined to study and obey the Law of the Lord and to
teach those decrees and regulations to the people of Israel (v.10).
In the foreword of R. C. Sproul’s book Knowing
Scripture, J. I. Packer writes: “If I were the devil . . .
one of my first aims would be to stop folk from
digging into the Bible. . . . How? Well, I should try to
distract all clergy from preaching and teaching the Bible,
and spread the feeling that to study this ancient book
directly is a burdensome extra which modern Christians
can forgo without loss. . . . At all costs I should want to
keep them from using their minds in a disciplined way to
get the measure of its messages.”
With that said, you have to believe that Satan
was once ticked at the prophet Ezra. For Ezra “had
determined to study and obey the Law of the Lord and
to teach those decrees and regulations to the people of
Israel” (7:10). The prophet was known as a “scribe who
was well versed in the Law of Moses” (v.6), and one
“who studied and taught the commands and decrees of
the Lord to Israel” (v.11).
I picture Ezra sitting at his desk, carefully copying the
holy Word of God. From time to time he pauses to—in
the words of German poet Rainer Maria—“lean back
and close his eyes over a line he has been reading
again, and let its meaning spread through his blood.”
Our reason for studying the Bible is simple—we have
a covenant relationship with God. As we study His
Word, we’re better able to understand His commands.
We need to consistently select an hour, quiet our hearts, and carefully examine
the Scriptures. But we need both understanding and application. This tandem
will allow us to reveal its life-changing wisdom to others.
Get the devil mad this week as you dig deep into God’s Word and apply its
—Poh Fang Chia.
Read Psalms 19:7 to see why it’s important to study, obey, and teach
What will you do to begin truly studying God’s Word? How does
applying God’s Word to our lives affect both us and others?
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more