Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
[God] waited for a harvest of sweet grapes, but the grapes that grew were bitter (v.2).
My neighbor planted some apple tree seedlings. Several years later, the mature trees bore fruit. But there was a problem. The first bushel of apples my neighbor picked contained some unwanted guests . . . uh, pests. Worms were found, leading his wife to conclude that a few bad apples do indeed spoil the whole bunch! Since that fateful day, the only things that have munched on my neighbor’s apples are wild deer (and worms).
God recognizes good fruit from bad fruit. The prophet Isaiah portrays God as a Master Gardener who “plowed the land, cleared its stones, and planted it with the best vines” (5:2). He had even protected His garden and built a winepress nearby. But, sadly, the grapes didn’t turn out to be sweet, but bitter. Rotten fruit alert!
This fruit metaphor revealed God’s desire for His people to follow Him in love and obedience. But they didn’t. God asked, “What more could I have done for My vineyard?” (v.4). He had blessed His people, but the fruit they offered was worm-laden. Instead of justice, He found oppression. Violence, instead of righteousness (v.7). Due to their production of the wrong kind of fruit, God’s people were reprimanded and disciplined (vv.5-6).
Jesus described a vineyard in laying out His expectation for our lives, stating, “I am the true grapevine, and My Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch of Mine that doesn’t bear fruit” (John 15:1-2). So how do we bear fruit? “Those who remain in Me, and I in them, will produce much fruit,” He says (v.5). If we don’t obey and follow Him, we’ll be “thrown away like a useless branch . . . gathered into a pile to be burned” (v.6).
God expects good fruit from us. What are we producing?
Read Matthew 21:33- 44. How can you apply verse 43 to your life, local church, and nation?
How do we “remain in” Jesus? How will you strive to live a more fruitful life in Him this week?
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more