WashedIn what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?
Top Music Videos
It's hard to imagine that a guy would choose to blow his apartment to smithereens. Still, it happened in Lisbon, Portugal, as a man did just that, collapsing part of the 5-story building where he lived.
The mad-bomber had recently been evicted, and according to a fireman who responded to the subsequent blaze, "He had threatened neighbors that he would blow up the place if he ever got kicked out."
Revenge, like fire, is nothing to mess around with, it's too hot for us to handle. That's why God tells us, "I will take revenge; I will pay them back" (Romans 12:19). When we're in payback mode, we hold up the wrong done to us as the excuse for hurting others. Samson did this when his Philistine father-in-law gave his wife away to another man. Infuriated, he declared, "This time I cannot be blamed for everything I am going to do to you Philistines" (Judges 15:3).
Samson then had a teensy bout of pyromania. He gathered 300 foxes, tied their tails together in pairs, attached a torch to each carnivore couple, and set them loose in the Philistines' grain fields.
Unfortunately, revenge breeds more revenge. In retaliation, the Philistines "went and got [his wife] and her father and burned them to death" (v.6). When Samson found this out, he vowed, "I won't rest until I take my revenge on you [Philistines]!" (v.7). He attacked them once more before ending up as a lonely bachelor with a cave for a home address.
When we try to settle the score, we often hurt ourselves and our loved ones along with the people we target. That's why believers should "never pay back evil with more evil" (Romans 12:17). It's too dangerous. Instead, we're supposed to leave the hot coals of revenge in the hands of our righteous God. , Jennifer Benson Schuldt, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more