Faithful and TrueWhat experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?
Top Christian Music Videos
When God Speaks
I will [create] you into a great nation (v.2).
I’m no gardener. The surest way to kill your flowers
or vegetable plants is to ask me to care for them.
So I marvel at those who are gifted at working with
all things green and growing. Some gardeners have a
practice (whether it is superstition or has merit, I can’t
say) of talking to their plants. They’ll lean over their
azaleas, daffodils, or young sprouts and whisper, chat
. . . even sing. They insist that their words spur growth.
The Bible regularly presents God as one whose words
bring things to life. In Genesis, humanity’s early history
is ugly. Repeated human rebellion leads to the desolate
admission that Abram and Sarai have no children. Sarai
is barren. Humanity, as a result of their attempts to make
life on their own, is desolate.
As Walter Brueggemann put it, “This family (and with
it the whole family of Genesis 1–11) has played out its
future and has nowhere else to go. Barrenness is the
way of human history. It is an effective metaphor for
hopelessness. There is no foreseeable future. There is no
human power to invent a future.”
Then, the story turns with these simple words: “The
Lord . . . said . . .” (12:1). God spoke into the barrenness
and chaos. It was as if He said, You’ve done your best,
and this is where it has gotten you—now step aside.
Still early in the Genesis story, these words remind us
of another time God spoke into darkness and chaos.
Before God began to create, the “earth was formless and empty, and darkness
covered the deep waters.” Into nothing, “God said . . . ”
God spoke and light erupted, vegetation blossomed, humans appeared. This
is still what happens whenever God speaks.
Read Mark 5:35. How did most of the people respond to Jesus’
words? How did Jairus’ daughter respond to Jesus’ words?
What is the barren place in your life right now? What do you sense God
is speaking into that place?
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more