What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
Shaina attends a service for 20-somethings at her church. The group is small but growing, and they're starting to reach out in innovative ways to their community.
In the past year, nearly 30 people in the church have lost their jobs. So her group decided to get donations of food from individuals and businesses. They were amazed at the generosity. Soon they had a room jam-packed with groceries, and they began to set up appointments for the out-of-work families to "shop" for free. But many people didn't want to come, despite being in financial trouble.
"We felt bad," said Shaina. "I was doing something to help people who really needed it, and it was a great feeling. People took something away from me because they were too proud to accept help."
When Paul the apostle prepared to go to Jerusalem for the last time, he stopped to encourage the believers in Ephesus. He noted that he had never coveted anyone's wealth and had always worked hard. But when he quoted Jesus as saying, "It is more blessed to give than to receive" (Acts 20:35), his statement implied that it is indeed blessed to receive. If no one receives, no one gets the blessing of giving. God uses our needy times to humble us, and to enable others to enjoy the blessing of giving.
We're all desperately needy for spiritual rescue. Without Jesus, we're powerless to save ourselves. In a letter to the Ephesians, Paul wrote, "Even though we were dead because of our sins, He gave us life when He raised Christ from the dead" (2:5). "God saved you by His grace when you believed [in His Son]. . . . It is a gift from God" (v.8).
Yet most people are too proud to receive the most generous gift of all time. Imagine how Jesus must feel about that. , Tim Gustafson, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more