Spiritual StrugglesWhen you struggle spiritually, how do you react?
Top Music Videos
Today, my son lied to me. The specifics were minor, but his attempts to weasel out of the offense without coming clean caused me concern. One author, writing about our vague "confessions," said that she imagines "God as a wily writing teacher [leaning] across the table and [saying], not at all gently, â€˜Could you possibly be troubled to say what you mean?'" The Bible characters who seem to always be in the middle of the fray, calling God's people on the carpet for their sins, naming names, making pretty much everyone uncomfortable, are the prophets. Everyone liked the prophet, so long as he or she predicted blessing and good days ahead. The true prophet, however, was God's mouthpiece, and God is about the business of uncovering hidden places of rebellion, dishonesty, and idolatry.
On one occasion, God had Micah tell Israel that because of their stubborn refusal to obey, they would be "plowed like an open field" (Micah 3:12). Dire words.
How do we respond when God points out our wayward ways? Do we wiggle and squirm and offer excuses about why we acted so poorly? Do we hide? Do we slough off our responsibility, refusing to own up to our sin?
King Hezekiah and Israel took the harder path, the one that leads to humility and repentance. "They turned from their sins and worshiped the Lord" (Jeremiah 26:19). No bartering. No wrangling. Just a straight, "I was wrong, and I'm sorry."
The old confession of the church has it right: "Most merciful God, we confess that we have sinned against You. . . . We are truly sorry and we humbly repent." , Winn Collier, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Spiritual Struggles - When you struggle spiritually, how do you react?...read more
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more