Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
Today, my son lied to me. The specifics were minor, but his attempts to weasel out of the offense without coming clean caused me concern. One author, writing about our vague "confessions," said that she imagines "God as a wily writing teacher [leaning] across the table and [saying], not at all gently, â€˜Could you possibly be troubled to say what you mean?'" The Bible characters who seem to always be in the middle of the fray, calling God's people on the carpet for their sins, naming names, making pretty much everyone uncomfortable, are the prophets. Everyone liked the prophet, so long as he or she predicted blessing and good days ahead. The true prophet, however, was God's mouthpiece, and God is about the business of uncovering hidden places of rebellion, dishonesty, and idolatry.
On one occasion, God had Micah tell Israel that because of their stubborn refusal to obey, they would be "plowed like an open field" (Micah 3:12). Dire words.
How do we respond when God points out our wayward ways? Do we wiggle and squirm and offer excuses about why we acted so poorly? Do we hide? Do we slough off our responsibility, refusing to own up to our sin?
King Hezekiah and Israel took the harder path, the one that leads to humility and repentance. "They turned from their sins and worshiped the Lord" (Jeremiah 26:19). No bartering. No wrangling. Just a straight, "I was wrong, and I'm sorry."
The old confession of the church has it right: "Most merciful God, we confess that we have sinned against You. . . . We are truly sorry and we humbly repent." , Winn Collier, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more