Happy Ascension DayWhat’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?
Top Music Videos
According to a 2009 study, men and women sin differently. This study of the seven deadly sins found that the top sin for men is lust, followed by gluttony, laziness, anger, pride, envy, and greed. For women, the sin list in order of frequency is pride, envy, anger, lust, gluttony, greed, and laziness. These seven deadly sins were first laid down by Gregory the Great in the 6th century AD. But, in reality, it's wrong to say that there are only seven deadly sins. For all sins are deadly (Romans 6:23; James 1:15).
King Solomon listed seven sins, which are detestable to God (Proverbs 6:17-19). Contrary to popular understanding, he isn't saying that there are only seven specific sins that God hates. For all sins are abhorrent to Him! In the Bible, the "six . . . seven" numerical pattern (also seen in Job 5:19; Proverbs 30:15-16,18-19,21-31) does not give a complete list. Instead, these patterns lay out all items equally, pointing to the final item, "a person who sows discord in a family" (6:19), as the culmination of the preceding items.
In Proverbs 6, the passage is bracketed by liars who "constantly stir up trouble" and those who sow "discord in a family" (vv.12,14,19). It describes the attitudes and actions of the divisive person. A divisive person is wicked (v.12), deceitful (v.13), perverted (v.14), proud (v.17), and evil in his heart (v.18). He sows discord by hypocritical actions and deceptive words (vv.12,13,17,19). The divisive person is without value to the community and will be severely punished (vv.12,15). He has incurred God's wrath (v.16).
A troublemaker can easily destroy the unity of the church. We're reminded: "Throw out the mocker, and fighting goes too. Quarrels and insults will disappear" (Proverbs 22:10). , K.T. Sim, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more
- Blending In - What does it mean to stand for Jesus instead of blending in?...read more