Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
According to a 2009 study, men and women sin differently. This study of the seven deadly sins found that the top sin for men is lust, followed by gluttony, laziness, anger, pride, envy, and greed. For women, the sin list in order of frequency is pride, envy, anger, lust, gluttony, greed, and laziness. These seven deadly sins were first laid down by Gregory the Great in the 6th century AD. But, in reality, it's wrong to say that there are only seven deadly sins. For all sins are deadly (Romans 6:23; James 1:15).
King Solomon listed seven sins, which are detestable to God (Proverbs 6:17-19). Contrary to popular understanding, he isn't saying that there are only seven specific sins that God hates. For all sins are abhorrent to Him! In the Bible, the "six . . . seven" numerical pattern (also seen in Job 5:19; Proverbs 30:15-16,18-19,21-31) does not give a complete list. Instead, these patterns lay out all items equally, pointing to the final item, "a person who sows discord in a family" (6:19), as the culmination of the preceding items.
In Proverbs 6, the passage is bracketed by liars who "constantly stir up trouble" and those who sow "discord in a family" (vv.12,14,19). It describes the attitudes and actions of the divisive person. A divisive person is wicked (v.12), deceitful (v.13), perverted (v.14), proud (v.17), and evil in his heart (v.18). He sows discord by hypocritical actions and deceptive words (vv.12,13,17,19). The divisive person is without value to the community and will be severely punished (vv.12,15). He has incurred God's wrath (v.16).
A troublemaker can easily destroy the unity of the church. We're reminded: "Throw out the mocker, and fighting goes too. Quarrels and insults will disappear" (Proverbs 22:10). , K.T. Sim, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more