Daily Devotional - Featuring Newsboys July 18, 2013 “Live With Abandon” Think about your most significant accomplishment in life to date. The one thing you are most proud of that you’ve done, written, said, worked for.
Top Christian Music Videos
1 Corinthians 15:1
Whatever I am now, it is all because God poured
out His special favor on me. . . . For I have worked harder than any
of the other apostles; yet it was not I but God who
was working thorough me (v.10).
My dad is a hard-working man. He works 6
days a week. During his off-days, he’s always
tinkering with something in the house—fixing
the fan or cleaning something. Colleagues of mine who
also know my dad have remarked that being industrious is
a trait that runs in my family. Is diligence an inborn trait—
are some people born lazy while others are naturally
hard-working? Why do some people work hard?
In 1 Corinthians 15:10, the apostle Paul says, “I have
worked harder than any of the other apostles.” It’s true.
Paul worked very hard. We read about how hard he
labored in 2 Corinthians 11:23-27. So what motivated
him? We read: “But whatever I am now, it is all because
God poured out His special favor on me—and not
without results” (1 Corinthians 15:10).
Despite Paul’s being a persecutor of the church, Jesus
appeared to him and called him into His service. Paul’s
awareness of God’s extraordinary special favor to him
resulted in an extraordinary response. He recognized
who he was meant to be—an apostle of Christ. This was
all because of God’s grace—the undeserved expression
of His kindness.
But Paul didn’t attempt to repay the divine grace shown
to him with hard work, nor did he try to soothe his guilty
conscience. He worked hard because he didn’t want the grace shown to him to
go to waste. As Paul worked hard, he discovered this amazing reality: “Yet it
was not I but God who was working through me by His grace” (v.10). Eugene
Peterson paraphrases Paul’s words this way, “Even then, my work didn’t amount
to all that much. It was God giving me the work to do, God giving me the
energy to do it” (The Message).
As recipients of His grace, may we work hard to make God’s grace known!
What motivates you to work hard—reputation, man’s approval, or
God’s grace? How can you better present God’s grace to others?
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more