Stinging WordsHow have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?
Top Music Videos
1 Corinthians 15:1
Whatever I am now, it is all because God poured
out His special favor on me. . . . For I have worked harder than any
of the other apostles; yet it was not I but God who
was working thorough me (v.10).
My dad is a hard-working man. He works 6
days a week. During his off-days, he’s always
tinkering with something in the house—fixing
the fan or cleaning something. Colleagues of mine who
also know my dad have remarked that being industrious is
a trait that runs in my family. Is diligence an inborn trait—
are some people born lazy while others are naturally
hard-working? Why do some people work hard?
In 1 Corinthians 15:10, the apostle Paul says, “I have
worked harder than any of the other apostles.” It’s true.
Paul worked very hard. We read about how hard he
labored in 2 Corinthians 11:23-27. So what motivated
him? We read: “But whatever I am now, it is all because
God poured out His special favor on me—and not
without results” (1 Corinthians 15:10).
Despite Paul’s being a persecutor of the church, Jesus
appeared to him and called him into His service. Paul’s
awareness of God’s extraordinary special favor to him
resulted in an extraordinary response. He recognized
who he was meant to be—an apostle of Christ. This was
all because of God’s grace—the undeserved expression
of His kindness.
But Paul didn’t attempt to repay the divine grace shown
to him with hard work, nor did he try to soothe his guilty
conscience. He worked hard because he didn’t want the grace shown to him to
go to waste. As Paul worked hard, he discovered this amazing reality: “Yet it
was not I but God who was working through me by His grace” (v.10). Eugene
Peterson paraphrases Paul’s words this way, “Even then, my work didn’t amount
to all that much. It was God giving me the work to do, God giving me the
energy to do it” (The Message).
As recipients of His grace, may we work hard to make God’s grace known!
What motivates you to work hard—reputation, man’s approval, or
God’s grace? How can you better present God’s grace to others?
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more
- Time for Tea! - What situations frustrate you?...read more