Top Christian Music Videos
Live in harmony with each other (Romans 12:16).
Respondents to a recent Barna Group survey listed the following as key elements of their church life: connecting with God, experiencing transformation, gaining new insights, and feeling cared for. All of those things happen as individual believers come together and use their gifts to bless and edify one another. So often the idea of a “personal relationship with God” is emphasized in our experience with Jesus. While personal salvation is vital, the New Testament reveals that believers in Jesus are to be linked together within a faith community.
After the Holy Spirit came on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:1), the early church experienced true community in Christ. As they met together, they received teaching from the apostles—instruction from God’s Word that helped them to grow and mature spiritually (v.42; 2 Timothy 3:16). They also knew fellowship or koinonia—a close relationship experienced together (Acts 2:42). This loving relationship included sharing whatever they could with their brothers and sisters in Jesus (vv.44-45).
As they worshiped together and enjoyed the Lord’s Supper (breaking bread and drinking wine in remembrance of Jesus—Luke 22:14), something special happened: they tasted joy (Acts 2:46). This was the joy of selfless giving and living in Jesus—something that could not be conjured up on their own. And as they were “praising God and enjoying the goodwill of all the people . . . each day the Lord added to their fellowship those who were being saved” (v.47). What happened to those new believers? You guessed it; they became a part of the new community of faith.
If you’re not attending a local church, perhaps due to negative experiences in the past, it’s time to reconsider your decision. God intended for us to give and grow within a community of believers.
Read 1 Peter 1:9 to see what believers in Jesus should offer to one another.
If you attend a local church, how well are you doing in living out the early church’s example? Why is it so important for us to be part of a Christ-centered faith community?
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more
- Real Faith - Read 1 Peter 1:6-9 and consider how real faith is tested and refined....read more
- Needs Met - What hungers do you think God most wants to satisfy in your life?...read more