What's ImportantHow has God been training you lately?
Top Christian Music Videos
The World and I
But Lord, You remain the same forever! Your throne continues from generation to generation (v.19).
I didn’t realize how far I was removed from reality until I read The Hunger Games. It jolted me into doing some research. According to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization estimates for 2010, there are about 925-million hungry people in the world. That means 13.6 percent of the world population, or almost 1 in 7 people regularly experience hunger.
With so many modern comforts within our grasp, I’ve been lulled into thinking that the world I live in is how everyone lives. Sadly, that’s not true. Hunger, oppression, and injustice plague many parts of our planet today.
Reading the book of Lamentations can give us a point of entry into the experience of those who have suffered the death of a nation and the agony of utter despair. In vivid details, Jeremiah describes for us the state of Jerusalem after the Babylonians destroyed it. The Israelites lost not only their land, but also their homes and inheritance (5:2). In every household, it was likely that a family member was missing (v.3). Cold, thirst, and exhaustion were the new norms (v.4). Hope had flickered out. Fear plagued all—from the women to the princes, young men to the children (vv.11-13). Life was no longer the same (v.14).
Amid the gloom and despair, Jeremiah cried out, “But Lord, You remain the same forever! Your throne continues from generation to generation” (v.19).
We’re reminded that though the suffering of the present seems more real than the possibility of redemption in the future, God’s love and faithfulness remain. Let’s pray and reach out to the brokenhearted today, that they might discover this heartwarming truth. For as someone once said, “The best fruit of anyone’s mourning is his praying to God.”
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Psalms 33:12 for the message of hope that we can share with the destitute.
How do you think the world you live in might be different from other parts of the world? How can you expand your understanding and empathy for those who are struggling beyond your country’s borders?
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more