The Shepherd's VoiceHave you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?
Top Christian Music Videos
The World and I
But Lord, You remain the same forever! Your throne continues from generation to generation (v.19).
I didn’t realize how far I was removed from reality until I read The Hunger Games. It jolted me into doing some research. According to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization estimates for 2010, there are about 925-million hungry people in the world. That means 13.6 percent of the world population, or almost 1 in 7 people regularly experience hunger.
With so many modern comforts within our grasp, I’ve been lulled into thinking that the world I live in is how everyone lives. Sadly, that’s not true. Hunger, oppression, and injustice plague many parts of our planet today.
Reading the book of Lamentations can give us a point of entry into the experience of those who have suffered the death of a nation and the agony of utter despair. In vivid details, Jeremiah describes for us the state of Jerusalem after the Babylonians destroyed it. The Israelites lost not only their land, but also their homes and inheritance (5:2). In every household, it was likely that a family member was missing (v.3). Cold, thirst, and exhaustion were the new norms (v.4). Hope had flickered out. Fear plagued all—from the women to the princes, young men to the children (vv.11-13). Life was no longer the same (v.14).
Amid the gloom and despair, Jeremiah cried out, “But Lord, You remain the same forever! Your throne continues from generation to generation” (v.19).
We’re reminded that though the suffering of the present seems more real than the possibility of redemption in the future, God’s love and faithfulness remain. Let’s pray and reach out to the brokenhearted today, that they might discover this heartwarming truth. For as someone once said, “The best fruit of anyone’s mourning is his praying to God.”
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Psalms 33:12 for the message of hope that we can share with the destitute.
How do you think the world you live in might be different from other parts of the world? How can you expand your understanding and empathy for those who are struggling beyond your country’s borders?
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more