Top Christian Music Videos
The World and I
But Lord, You remain the same forever! Your throne continues from generation to generation (v.19).
I didn’t realize how far I was removed from reality until I read The Hunger Games. It jolted me into doing some research. According to the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization estimates for 2010, there are about 925-million hungry people in the world. That means 13.6 percent of the world population, or almost 1 in 7 people regularly experience hunger.
With so many modern comforts within our grasp, I’ve been lulled into thinking that the world I live in is how everyone lives. Sadly, that’s not true. Hunger, oppression, and injustice plague many parts of our planet today.
Reading the book of Lamentations can give us a point of entry into the experience of those who have suffered the death of a nation and the agony of utter despair. In vivid details, Jeremiah describes for us the state of Jerusalem after the Babylonians destroyed it. The Israelites lost not only their land, but also their homes and inheritance (5:2). In every household, it was likely that a family member was missing (v.3). Cold, thirst, and exhaustion were the new norms (v.4). Hope had flickered out. Fear plagued all—from the women to the princes, young men to the children (vv.11-13). Life was no longer the same (v.14).
Amid the gloom and despair, Jeremiah cried out, “But Lord, You remain the same forever! Your throne continues from generation to generation” (v.19).
We’re reminded that though the suffering of the present seems more real than the possibility of redemption in the future, God’s love and faithfulness remain. Let’s pray and reach out to the brokenhearted today, that they might discover this heartwarming truth. For as someone once said, “The best fruit of anyone’s mourning is his praying to God.”
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Psalms 33:12 for the message of hope that we can share with the destitute.
How do you think the world you live in might be different from other parts of the world? How can you expand your understanding and empathy for those who are struggling beyond your country’s borders?
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more
- Real Faith - Read 1 Peter 1:6-9 and consider how real faith is tested and refined....read more
- Needs Met - What hungers do you think God most wants to satisfy in your life?...read more