Spiritual StrugglesWhen you struggle spiritually, how do you react?
Top Music Videos
My boss and I were driving back from a neighboring town late one night when our car rolled to a stop. "We're out of gas," she said. There was a gas station about a quarter of a mile away, so we shrugged into our coats, shoved the doors open, and started walking.
If you've ever been low on fuel, you know it's impossible to keep moving for very long. You might be able to coast for a while, but you can't run on empty forever.
Jesus recognized the disciples' need to refuel when He suggested, "Let's go off by ourselves . . . and rest awhile" (Mark 6:31). His band of do-gooders had just come back from a ministry tour, but things were so hectic that Jesus and His apostles didn't even have time to grab lunch before a crowd formed. Jesus decided to hold an impromptu seminar, teaching them "many things."
After a while, the disciples said, "It's getting late. Send the people away so they can get something to eat." Jesus' response? "You feed them" (v.37). He knew His crew was tired and hungry, that it was late, and that they were broke. The disciples sassed back, "With what?"
Maybe you're wondering the same thing. Fortunately, Jesus wasn't setting the disciples up to fail, and like them, He won't ask us to help people in His name without enabling us to follow through. Jesus "knows how weak we are; He remembers that we are only dust" (Psalm 103:14).
Sometimes though, He allows us to run on empty for a while, until we recognize that He is the ultimate fuel source for our ministry. Without Him, we can't keep going, but with Him we "can do everything through Christ who gives [us] strength" (Philippians 4:13). , Jennifer Benson Schuldt, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Spiritual Struggles - When you struggle spiritually, how do you react?...read more
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more