Rich in Good WorksHow can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?
Top Music Videos
My boss and I were driving back from a neighboring town late one night when our car rolled to a stop. "We're out of gas," she said. There was a gas station about a quarter of a mile away, so we shrugged into our coats, shoved the doors open, and started walking.
If you've ever been low on fuel, you know it's impossible to keep moving for very long. You might be able to coast for a while, but you can't run on empty forever.
Jesus recognized the disciples' need to refuel when He suggested, "Let's go off by ourselves . . . and rest awhile" (Mark 6:31). His band of do-gooders had just come back from a ministry tour, but things were so hectic that Jesus and His apostles didn't even have time to grab lunch before a crowd formed. Jesus decided to hold an impromptu seminar, teaching them "many things."
After a while, the disciples said, "It's getting late. Send the people away so they can get something to eat." Jesus' response? "You feed them" (v.37). He knew His crew was tired and hungry, that it was late, and that they were broke. The disciples sassed back, "With what?"
Maybe you're wondering the same thing. Fortunately, Jesus wasn't setting the disciples up to fail, and like them, He won't ask us to help people in His name without enabling us to follow through. Jesus "knows how weak we are; He remembers that we are only dust" (Psalm 103:14).
Sometimes though, He allows us to run on empty for a while, until we recognize that He is the ultimate fuel source for our ministry. Without Him, we can't keep going, but with Him we "can do everything through Christ who gives [us] strength" (Philippians 4:13). , Jennifer Benson Schuldt, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more