Connecting the DotsWhat good work is God doing in your life?
Top Music Videos
I walked by the field of a
lazy person, the vineyard
of one with no common
John Ortberg, in one of his sermons, told of an
interview with Max Dupree, the former CEO of
Herman Miller, a renowned office furniture company.
“Max is asked to speak a lot about leadership, and at
one session somebody asked him what the most difficult
thing was that he personally had to work on. This was
Max’s response: ‘It’s the interception of entropy.’ ” Long
before Max Dupree recognized this weakness in himself,
Solomon gave advice to his audience as to how they
could intercept their own entropy.
This story comes straight from the land of a farmer in
Israel (Proverbs 24:30-34). When the writer viewed the
farmer’s property, he immediately discerned the kind of
person he was—complacent, lazy, and one who lacked
judgment. His property was overgrown with thorns and
weeds and the wall stood in ruins (v.31). The sage’s
audience would have been appalled at the farm owner’s
carelessness and would have surmised: The owner’s
sloppy habits and disorganization was evidence of his
physical and spiritual neglect.
The writer quoted Proverbs 6:10-11 (24:33-34) and
rightly concluded: The owner was resting and sleeping
when he should have been working. What began as
a nap ultimately became a lifestyle of laziness and
disregard, leading to decline. His laziness betrayed the
God who had blessed him. The lesson was obvious: Hard
work is a wisdom virtue, necessary for becoming wise and intercepting entropy.
If people walked past your house, looked in your garage, or sat in your
office, what would they think? As followers of Jesus, we’re called to intercept
entropy with the pursuit of wisdom, hard work, and diligent stewardship,
including—but not limited to—organized and orderly lives. Let’s pursue wisdom
and work hard in everything we do.
What do your habits reveal about you? Care or neglect? As people
view how you live, what are they concluding about your spiritual life?
- Connecting the Dots - What good work is God doing in your life?...read more
- Responding to Suffering - How do you feel when your life is interrupted by suffering and adversity?...read more
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more