FearlessHow can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?
Top Christian Music Videos
I walked by the field of a
lazy person, the vineyard
of one with no common
John Ortberg, in one of his sermons, told of an
interview with Max Dupree, the former CEO of
Herman Miller, a renowned office furniture company.
“Max is asked to speak a lot about leadership, and at
one session somebody asked him what the most difficult
thing was that he personally had to work on. This was
Max’s response: ‘It’s the interception of entropy.’ ” Long
before Max Dupree recognized this weakness in himself,
Solomon gave advice to his audience as to how they
could intercept their own entropy.
This story comes straight from the land of a farmer in
Israel (Proverbs 24:30-34). When the writer viewed the
farmer’s property, he immediately discerned the kind of
person he was—complacent, lazy, and one who lacked
judgment. His property was overgrown with thorns and
weeds and the wall stood in ruins (v.31). The sage’s
audience would have been appalled at the farm owner’s
carelessness and would have surmised: The owner’s
sloppy habits and disorganization was evidence of his
physical and spiritual neglect.
The writer quoted Proverbs 6:10-11 (24:33-34) and
rightly concluded: The owner was resting and sleeping
when he should have been working. What began as
a nap ultimately became a lifestyle of laziness and
disregard, leading to decline. His laziness betrayed the
God who had blessed him. The lesson was obvious: Hard
work is a wisdom virtue, necessary for becoming wise and intercepting entropy.
If people walked past your house, looked in your garage, or sat in your
office, what would they think? As followers of Jesus, we’re called to intercept
entropy with the pursuit of wisdom, hard work, and diligent stewardship,
including—but not limited to—organized and orderly lives. Let’s pursue wisdom
and work hard in everything we do.
What do your habits reveal about you? Care or neglect? As people
view how you live, what are they concluding about your spiritual life?
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more