Always ThereDo you believe that the Lord is always with you?
Top Music Videos
I walked by the field of a
lazy person, the vineyard
of one with no common
John Ortberg, in one of his sermons, told of an
interview with Max Dupree, the former CEO of
Herman Miller, a renowned office furniture company.
“Max is asked to speak a lot about leadership, and at
one session somebody asked him what the most difficult
thing was that he personally had to work on. This was
Max’s response: ‘It’s the interception of entropy.’ ” Long
before Max Dupree recognized this weakness in himself,
Solomon gave advice to his audience as to how they
could intercept their own entropy.
This story comes straight from the land of a farmer in
Israel (Proverbs 24:30-34). When the writer viewed the
farmer’s property, he immediately discerned the kind of
person he was—complacent, lazy, and one who lacked
judgment. His property was overgrown with thorns and
weeds and the wall stood in ruins (v.31). The sage’s
audience would have been appalled at the farm owner’s
carelessness and would have surmised: The owner’s
sloppy habits and disorganization was evidence of his
physical and spiritual neglect.
The writer quoted Proverbs 6:10-11 (24:33-34) and
rightly concluded: The owner was resting and sleeping
when he should have been working. What began as
a nap ultimately became a lifestyle of laziness and
disregard, leading to decline. His laziness betrayed the
God who had blessed him. The lesson was obvious: Hard
work is a wisdom virtue, necessary for becoming wise and intercepting entropy.
If people walked past your house, looked in your garage, or sat in your
office, what would they think? As followers of Jesus, we’re called to intercept
entropy with the pursuit of wisdom, hard work, and diligent stewardship,
including—but not limited to—organized and orderly lives. Let’s pursue wisdom
and work hard in everything we do.
What do your habits reveal about you? Care or neglect? As people
view how you live, what are they concluding about your spiritual life?
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more