Sweet MusicWhat things have you been trying to handle without prayer?
Top Music Videos
I've known believers in Jesus who struggled with guilt for saying "no" to taking on a new responsibility in a church or a parachurch organization. Many of them felt that by not agreeing to do more, they were failing to "walk by faith." Yet they are all people who possess good reasons for carefully selecting their priorities. Some of them are moving from being single to married life, or from being a student to working.
In Ecclesiastes 3:1-8, wisdom recognizes that everything has its own season, in human activities as in the realm of nature. There is "a time to search [for work, marriage, new friends] and a time to quit searching" (v.6). There comes a time in life when we should curtail certain commitments and funnel our energy into something else, putting aside what we did in the past. For instance, a mother shouldn't feel guilty about spending her time nurturing her child and not having as much time to serve in church as she once did. It's necessary that we experience these seasons of change.
Even though every activity has an appropriate occasion, only God can truly know what that occasion is (vv.9-11). It's our responsibility to make the best and wisest decisions, and "whether [we] eat or drink, or whatever [we] do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31). J. I. Packer wrote, "We must forsake the fallacy that faith is only demonstrated by what we are doing for God. Certainly, an active and growing faith will produce works in the life of a believer, but in reality, biblical faith demonstrates what God, in His power and grace, is doing for, in, and through the one who believes God."
We walk by faith when we trust God to work in and through our lives, in all we do. , Poh Fang Chia, Our Daily Journey CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more