Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
A Prize Awaits
Now the prize awaits me—the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of His return. (v.8).
How do I decide what to write in my ODJ article? Each month, I move down the list of 66 books in the Bible, and pick a passage from three books to write on. But sometimes I’ll write on the passage that I’m currently studying. Interestingly, I’ve noticed that quite a number of my articles are on Christian service. So I wondered: How many ODJ readers are actively serving God?
Today’s passage is once again on Christian service, and I pray that God will use it to minister to you. As a servant of God, do you know that a prize awaits you? Huh? What prize?you might ask. The Lord, the righteous Judge, will give you the prize when He returns. It’s the “crown of righteousness” (2 Timothy 2:8). Count on it. The prize is yours.
But why? Because I’ve fought the good fight, finished the race, remained faithful?Not exactly. The apostle Paul says that this prize is “for all who eagerly look forward to His appearing” (v.8). Naturally, if we eagerly anticipate His return, we will be faithful in service.
Theologian William Barclay explained: “When the [Roman] Emperor was due to visit any place, everything was put in perfect order. The streets were swept and garnished and all work was up-to-date so that the town might be fit for the epiphaneia [“appearing”] of the Emperor. So Paul says to Timothy: ‘You know what happens when any town is expecting the epiphaneia of the Emperor; you are expecting the epiphaneia of Jesus Christ. Do your work in such a way that all things will be ready whenever He appears.’ ”
Fix your eyes on the hope of Jesus’ return, and like Paul you’ll be able to finish well. —Poh Fang Chia
Read Revelation 22:7 to capture the wonder of the glorious day when Jesus returns.
How would the knowledge that Jesus is coming soon shape the way you serve today? What does receiving the crown of righteousness mean to you?
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more