Rich in Good WorksHow can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?
Top Music Videos
Haiti is an impoverished nation where 80 percent of its people live in great need. One child in 14 never reaches his or her first birthday; another one in five never lives to the age of 4; and voodoo is practiced across the land. Yet, in the middle of the despair, Haiti is experiencing a revival. Ramshackle churches are being filled as many are receiving Christ and being released from demonic oppression.
On a flight home from Haiti, I flipped through the catalog that I found in the seat pocket in front of me. I had just left a country where people were desperate for food, and now I was viewing pages of useless gadgets for sale: spring-loaded "gravity-defying" shoes, a luxury mattress for my dog, even a full-size 80s-style arcade game for the kids. I winced over the stark contrast. People in the developed world are buying luxury beds for their pooches while Haitian children sleep on cold cement floors, I mused. But even as church membership thins in some nations, more and more Haitian Christians are meeting God in profound ways.
On the eve of entering the Promised Land, Moses warned the Israelites that a land of abundance could be a spiritual snare. He urged them to put God first. Otherwise, as they ate well, built homes, and saw their flocks and riches multiply, they would forget Him (Deuteronomy 8:12-14). Moses' urgings remain ever relevant to those of us living in countries where personal affluence is high. Riches and pleasures can choke our faith (Luke 8:14). The antidote? Thanking God for every blessing we receive (Deuteronomy 8:10) and developing a heart of generosity for the poor (15:7-11).
Let's exchange consumerism for compassion, extending God's grace with grateful hearts to those in need. , Sheridan Voysey, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more