The Shepherd's VoiceHave you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?
Top Christian Music Videos
Man and Woman
This is a great mystery, but it is an illustration of the way Christ and the church are one (v.32).
Ah, December . . . shimmering, white snow caressing the ground—and streets. But in time, traffic and dirt will alter the roadside snow, resulting in a sullied state.
Marriage is facing a similar plight. As some people call for same-sex unions, they use compelling arguments based in a progressivist view of history. Isn’t it good that women now vote and that slavery is abolished?Yes, that’s progress! Well, shouldn’t people be able to marry someone of the same gender? This sounds good, but God’s Word reveals something greater than progressive views; it contains the permanence of God’s perfect moral law and plans.
In God’s Word, we find that marriage is a God-ordained institution: “As the Scriptures say, ‘A man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one’ ” (Ephesians 5:31). The apostle Paul then describes what marriage points to: “This is a great mystery, but it is an illustration of the way Christ and the church are one” (v.32). Human marriage reflects the beauty of our relationship with Jesus as His bride (v.27)—He is the “head of the church” just as “a husband is the head of his wife” (v.23).
The loving authority of Jesus as our Savior and Lord is seen in these words: “Christ is also the head of the church, which is His body. He is the beginning, supreme over all who rise from the dead” (Colossians 1:18). How interesting it is to note that Jesus Himself said, “When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage” (Matthew 22:30).
Marriage will not be needed in heaven, for the perfect union of Christ and His bride (the church) will be manifest. Marriage today, perfectly designed by God’s authority as between a man and woman, should honor and point to Him.
Read Matthew 25:1 and note who the characters in this story represent. What does the parable reveal about marriage and our relationship with Jesus?
What are other biblical reasons why marriage should be solely between a man and woman? Why is it important to understand the sacred way God views marriage?
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more