Treasure that LastsWhat legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?
Top Christian Music Videos
Man and Woman
This is a great mystery, but it is an illustration of the way Christ and the church are one (v.32).
Ah, December . . . shimmering, white snow caressing the ground—and streets. But in time, traffic and dirt will alter the roadside snow, resulting in a sullied state.
Marriage is facing a similar plight. As some people call for same-sex unions, they use compelling arguments based in a progressivist view of history. Isn’t it good that women now vote and that slavery is abolished?Yes, that’s progress! Well, shouldn’t people be able to marry someone of the same gender? This sounds good, but God’s Word reveals something greater than progressive views; it contains the permanence of God’s perfect moral law and plans.
In God’s Word, we find that marriage is a God-ordained institution: “As the Scriptures say, ‘A man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one’ ” (Ephesians 5:31). The apostle Paul then describes what marriage points to: “This is a great mystery, but it is an illustration of the way Christ and the church are one” (v.32). Human marriage reflects the beauty of our relationship with Jesus as His bride (v.27)—He is the “head of the church” just as “a husband is the head of his wife” (v.23).
The loving authority of Jesus as our Savior and Lord is seen in these words: “Christ is also the head of the church, which is His body. He is the beginning, supreme over all who rise from the dead” (Colossians 1:18). How interesting it is to note that Jesus Himself said, “When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage” (Matthew 22:30).
Marriage will not be needed in heaven, for the perfect union of Christ and His bride (the church) will be manifest. Marriage today, perfectly designed by God’s authority as between a man and woman, should honor and point to Him.
Read Matthew 25:1 and note who the characters in this story represent. What does the parable reveal about marriage and our relationship with Jesus?
What are other biblical reasons why marriage should be solely between a man and woman? Why is it important to understand the sacred way God views marriage?
- Treasure that Lasts - What legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?...read more
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more