Timeless GrooveWhat lesser gods are you being tempted to follow?
Top Christian Music Videos
Man and Woman
This is a great mystery, but it is an illustration of the way Christ and the church are one (v.32).
Ah, December . . . shimmering, white snow caressing the ground—and streets. But in time, traffic and dirt will alter the roadside snow, resulting in a sullied state.
Marriage is facing a similar plight. As some people call for same-sex unions, they use compelling arguments based in a progressivist view of history. Isn’t it good that women now vote and that slavery is abolished?Yes, that’s progress! Well, shouldn’t people be able to marry someone of the same gender? This sounds good, but God’s Word reveals something greater than progressive views; it contains the permanence of God’s perfect moral law and plans.
In God’s Word, we find that marriage is a God-ordained institution: “As the Scriptures say, ‘A man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one’ ” (Ephesians 5:31). The apostle Paul then describes what marriage points to: “This is a great mystery, but it is an illustration of the way Christ and the church are one” (v.32). Human marriage reflects the beauty of our relationship with Jesus as His bride (v.27)—He is the “head of the church” just as “a husband is the head of his wife” (v.23).
The loving authority of Jesus as our Savior and Lord is seen in these words: “Christ is also the head of the church, which is His body. He is the beginning, supreme over all who rise from the dead” (Colossians 1:18). How interesting it is to note that Jesus Himself said, “When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage” (Matthew 22:30).
Marriage will not be needed in heaven, for the perfect union of Christ and His bride (the church) will be manifest. Marriage today, perfectly designed by God’s authority as between a man and woman, should honor and point to Him.
Read Matthew 25:1 and note who the characters in this story represent. What does the parable reveal about marriage and our relationship with Jesus?
What are other biblical reasons why marriage should be solely between a man and woman? Why is it important to understand the sacred way God views marriage?
- Timeless Groove - What lesser gods are you being tempted to follow?...read more
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more