Happy at YouDo you know deep down that God loves you dearly?
Top Christian Music Videos
May God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ give you grace and peace (v.2).
Some people develop “catch phrases” that
crystallize what matters to them. A news anchor
ends every telecast with “And that’s the way it
was” to remind viewers that he delivers the important
facts of each day. A financial counselor on the radio
answers a listener’s question of “How are you?” with
“Better than I deserve”—focusing attention on the
unmerited grace of God.
The apostle Paul had his own signature phrase. Check
the opening verses of any of his letters and you’re sure
to read, “May God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ
give you grace and peace” (Ephesians 1:2). There are
occasional variations—he adds “mercy” to “grace and
peace” when he’s cranking up a special greeting to his
beloved Timothy (1 Timothy 1:2; 2 Timothy 1:2)—but
this standard salutation is a reliable indicator that you’re
reading a letter from Paul.
The apostle often repeated this greeting because he
wanted us to savor each part of it. May God our Father:
The God of the universe is our daddy. He adopted us as
His children, and though our sin may lead us astray, He
eagerly runs to meet us whenever we turn toward home.
He is never happier than when we crawl onto His lap
and curl up in His strong arms of love.
And the Lord Jesus Christ: Our crucified Savior rose
as King of the world. We gladly bow and worship Him,
submitting every part of our lives to His reign as we wait for His glorious return.
Give you grace and peace: Our world grades every person and
performance, but God loves and accepts us just as we are. When we pass His
peace on to others, forgiving as we have been forgiven, we enjoy the flourishing
wholeness and delight of being God’s child.
Read Psalms 68:1 and consider how each element of Paul’s
signature greeting is rooted in the Old Testament.
Consider the integral relationship between the fatherhood of God, the
lordship of Christ, and grace and peace. How does each depend on
the other? Which do you need most to remember today?
- Happy at You - Do you know deep down that God loves you dearly?...read more
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more