Raise the Temperature
Top Music Videos
May God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ give you grace and peace (v.2).
Some people develop “catch phrases” that
crystallize what matters to them. A news anchor
ends every telecast with “And that’s the way it
was” to remind viewers that he delivers the important
facts of each day. A financial counselor on the radio
answers a listener’s question of “How are you?” with
“Better than I deserve”—focusing attention on the
unmerited grace of God.
The apostle Paul had his own signature phrase. Check
the opening verses of any of his letters and you’re sure
to read, “May God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ
give you grace and peace” (Ephesians 1:2). There are
occasional variations—he adds “mercy” to “grace and
peace” when he’s cranking up a special greeting to his
beloved Timothy (1 Timothy 1:2; 2 Timothy 1:2)—but
this standard salutation is a reliable indicator that you’re
reading a letter from Paul.
The apostle often repeated this greeting because he
wanted us to savor each part of it. May God our Father:
The God of the universe is our daddy. He adopted us as
His children, and though our sin may lead us astray, He
eagerly runs to meet us whenever we turn toward home.
He is never happier than when we crawl onto His lap
and curl up in His strong arms of love.
And the Lord Jesus Christ: Our crucified Savior rose
as King of the world. We gladly bow and worship Him,
submitting every part of our lives to His reign as we wait for His glorious return.
Give you grace and peace: Our world grades every person and
performance, but God loves and accepts us just as we are. When we pass His
peace on to others, forgiving as we have been forgiven, we enjoy the flourishing
wholeness and delight of being God’s child.
Read Psalms 68:1 and consider how each element of Paul’s
signature greeting is rooted in the Old Testament.
Consider the integral relationship between the fatherhood of God, the
lordship of Christ, and grace and peace. How does each depend on
the other? Which do you need most to remember today?
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more