LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
More than a million people live in Kibera, East Africa's largest slum, located in the heart of Nairobi, Kenya. A railroad track divides the massive area in half and, when no train is chugging through, also serves as a walking path for Kibera residents and visitors.
One day, as I was trekking down the track, a man in a shabby suit approached my friend and me. "I've just come from church," he proclaimed. Appearing to be oblivious to the horrible stench that permeates his 600-acre slum home, he thanked us for coming by and added with a smile, "The Lord loves us and will provide for us." He then shook our hands and walked away.
Surely this man craved better circumstances, but somehow he could still "acknowledge that the Lord is God" and that the Lord will take care of him "as a sheep of his pasture" (v.3).
His secret? Perhaps, more often than most of us, he has searched for water and found none; then, with a parched tongue, he's cried out to God for provision, and He delivered. Perhaps a mere cup at first. But then more. Of the poor and needy, God says, "I, the God of Israel, will never abandon them. . . . Rivers fed by springs will flow across the parched ground" (Isaiah 41:17-18).
Though this man was a stranger, his life and faith have greatly inspired me. He showed me it's possible to praise God while living in squalor. We can, regardless of our physical circumstances, "worship the Lord with gladness . . . singing with joy" (v.2). "For the Lord is good. His unfailing love continues forever" (v.5). , Roxanne Robbins, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more