Sound SensitiveJust as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day.
Top Music Videos
Train stations in Japan often list stops in both Kanji and English. This one did not. The longer I stared at the sign, the more it mocked me.
Finally, I asked the woman standing next to me: "Do you speak English?" "A little," she said. She understood where I wanted to go and motioned for me to follow her. We got on a train, and she drew a map with the stops listed in English and Japanese. Then she took me to the correct line for my transfer. She didn't just tell me the way; she showed me the way.
When God brought the Israelites out of slavery in Egypt, He didn't merely tell them which way to go; He showed them the way with a cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night (Exodus 13:20-22). The people, however, repeatedly refused to trust their Provider-God. They hardened their hearts and rebelled against Him (v.8; Psalm 95:7-8). The consequences were disastrous. Their "corpses lay in the wilderness," said the writer of Hebrews (3:17).
Today, God shows us the way through the guidance of His Word and the illumination of the Holy Spirit (John 14:16-17). Yet we too can stubbornly ignore His step- by-step guidance. That's why Hebrews says of those disbelieving Israelites, "Because of their unbelief they were not able to enter His rest" (3:19). Then the author draws a clear distinction: "They didn't share the faith of those who listened to God. For only we who believe can enter His rest" (4:2-3).
Not finding the right train route is a mere inconvenience. Knowing our ultimate destination in life and yet refusing to follow it is a mistake with eternal consequences. The question to ask ourselves is this: Are we among those who believe?
, Tim Gustafson, Our Daily Journey
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more