LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
In the Philippines, the door is always open at mealtime. Even if you're a stranger, a Filipino will insist that you stay and eat your fill. If he does not have enough, your host will give you his portion. Relationships are valued above one's own comfort and well-being.
When God brought the Israelites out of Egypt, He emphasized hospitality and generosity to strangers. "[God] shows love to the foreigners living among you and gives them food and clothing," Moses told the people. "So you, too, must show love to foreigners" (Deuteronomy 10:18-19).
There's a deeper lesson here. The Israelites were given a system, the Ten Commandments and its accompanying rules, to guide their lives. But outward adherence to rules counts for nothing. So Moses cut to . . . well, the heart of the matter. "And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you?" (Deuteronomy 10:12). His conclusion? "Change your hearts and stop being stubborn" (v.16). The Hebrew actually says, "Circumcise the foreskin of your hearts." That earthy phrase ties directly to the New Testament. In Ephesians 2, Paul told the new Gentile believers: "You were called â€˜uncircumcised heathens' by the Jews, who were proud of their circumcision, even though it affected only their bodies and not their hearts" (v.11). The Ten Commandments are powerless to change the human heart. Only God can do that.
The Gentiles then, and we today, were once spiritual foreigners, dead in our sin, separated from God (Ephesians 2:5). Paul reminded them, "Once you were far away from God, but now you have been brought near to Him through the blood of Christ" (v.13). The result: "He united Jews and Gentiles into one people" (v.14). In Christ, there are no foreigners. , Tim Gustafson, Our Daily Journey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more