What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
I will also bless the foreigners who commit themselves to the Lord,
. . . who worship Him and do not desecrate the Sabbath day of rest,
and who hold fast to My covenant (v.6).
The alarm clock goes off way too early. At least,
that’s how it feels. But a long day awaits you. First,
you need to drop the kids off at school. Then there’s
a breakfast meeting to attend, followed by a whole
series of urgent matters to deal with.
That’s a typical day for a lot of people. As someone
once said, “That’s why we’re called the human race.”
Rest is one thing we crave but something we’re so
poor at doing well. In the Old Testament, the Sabbath
was often desecrated. And in the New Testament, it was
In Isaiah 56, Sabbath is mentioned three times
(vv.2,4,6). We learn that keeping the Sabbath wasn’t for
devout Jews only, but for anyone who desired to walk
One Bible teacher explains, “Sabbath is the time set
aside to do nothing so that we can receive everything,
to set aside our anxious attempts to make ourselves
useful, to set aside our tense restlessness, to set aside our
media-saturated boredom. Sabbath is the time to receive
silence and let it deepen into gratitude, to receive quiet
into which forgotten faces and voices unobtrusively
make themselves present, to receive the days of the just
completed week and absorb the wonder and miracle
still reverberating from each one, to receive our Lord’s
By establishing a Sabbath time, we learn that by subtracting certain
distractions from our schedules, we can add meaning to our lives. By
subtracting, we actually gain. By emptying our schedule, God can fill us anew.
In Exodus 16:29, we’re told, “The Sabbath is the Lord’s gift to you.” A
Sabbath time isn’t simply a discipline to inculcate; it’s a gift to be enjoyed.
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Isaiah 58:13 to see how to enjoy your personal Sabbath time.
When is your Sabbath time? How does true rest help us live more effective
lives for God?
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more