Sacrificial LoveWhat does it mean for you to carry your cross?
Top Christian Music Videos
I will also bless the foreigners who commit themselves to the Lord,
. . . who worship Him and do not desecrate the Sabbath day of rest,
and who hold fast to My covenant (v.6).
The alarm clock goes off way too early. At least,
that’s how it feels. But a long day awaits you. First,
you need to drop the kids off at school. Then there’s
a breakfast meeting to attend, followed by a whole
series of urgent matters to deal with.
That’s a typical day for a lot of people. As someone
once said, “That’s why we’re called the human race.”
Rest is one thing we crave but something we’re so
poor at doing well. In the Old Testament, the Sabbath
was often desecrated. And in the New Testament, it was
In Isaiah 56, Sabbath is mentioned three times
(vv.2,4,6). We learn that keeping the Sabbath wasn’t for
devout Jews only, but for anyone who desired to walk
One Bible teacher explains, “Sabbath is the time set
aside to do nothing so that we can receive everything,
to set aside our anxious attempts to make ourselves
useful, to set aside our tense restlessness, to set aside our
media-saturated boredom. Sabbath is the time to receive
silence and let it deepen into gratitude, to receive quiet
into which forgotten faces and voices unobtrusively
make themselves present, to receive the days of the just
completed week and absorb the wonder and miracle
still reverberating from each one, to receive our Lord’s
By establishing a Sabbath time, we learn that by subtracting certain
distractions from our schedules, we can add meaning to our lives. By
subtracting, we actually gain. By emptying our schedule, God can fill us anew.
In Exodus 16:29, we’re told, “The Sabbath is the Lord’s gift to you.” A
Sabbath time isn’t simply a discipline to inculcate; it’s a gift to be enjoyed.
—Poh Fang Chia
Read Isaiah 58:13 to see how to enjoy your personal Sabbath time.
When is your Sabbath time? How does true rest help us live more effective
lives for God?
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more