Hidden SinsHow have you been trying to deal with your sin?
Top Music Videos
Narrow Road, Eternal Life
But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it (v.14)
One of the most prevalent of modern myths is the idea that boundary-less living leads to freedom. A permissive lifestyle may feel free for a time, but it will soon trap us. In ludicrous manner we shout, “I’m free! I’m free!” as we back into a cage and lock the door.
Jesus’ stark warning about this cuts across our permissive society, just as it cut across His own. In Matthew 7:13, He portrays the choice as one between two roads—one narrow, another broad—leading to two destinations (life or death).
The broad road is loud and crowded (v.13). It’s the path of self-will and selfish ambition, of loose promises and sexual permissiveness, of hatred, revenge, and doing good for personal gain, of hypocritical religion, and of a materialism that leaves no room for God. This road is popular because it’s easy. We simply let our natural desires lead us.
The narrow road, by contrast, is so small that most of us walk past it. Few are rushing to it. This is the path of following God’s will rather than our own (7:21), of firm promises and marital faithfulness (5:27-37), of reconciliation, turning cheeks, and anonymous charity (vv.21-26,38-48, 6:1-4), of true spirituality and choosing God above possessions (vv.5-34).
The broad road feels so free, but it leads to death and hell (7:13). There’s no freedom in either. The narrow road initially looks constricting, but looks are deceiving. We’ve shed our baggage to fit through its gate and walk lighter and with more freedom—into eternal life itself (v.14).
Don’t think Jesus is talking only about heaven and hell here. The life and death He speaks of is experienced now, depending on whether we follow Him or not (vv.24-27). Others may jeer, but those who follow Jesus down His narrow path will live in joyous freedom.
What will help you walk on the right road today? In what ways will you follow Jesus, even if it’s unpopular?
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more