Intentional Defiance Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns.
Top Christian Music Videos
Narrow Road, Eternal Life
But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it (v.14)
One of the most prevalent of modern myths is the idea that boundary-less living leads to freedom. A permissive lifestyle may feel free for a time, but it will soon trap us. In ludicrous manner we shout, “I’m free! I’m free!” as we back into a cage and lock the door.
Jesus’ stark warning about this cuts across our permissive society, just as it cut across His own. In Matthew 7:13, He portrays the choice as one between two roads—one narrow, another broad—leading to two destinations (life or death).
The broad road is loud and crowded (v.13). It’s the path of self-will and selfish ambition, of loose promises and sexual permissiveness, of hatred, revenge, and doing good for personal gain, of hypocritical religion, and of a materialism that leaves no room for God. This road is popular because it’s easy. We simply let our natural desires lead us.
The narrow road, by contrast, is so small that most of us walk past it. Few are rushing to it. This is the path of following God’s will rather than our own (7:21), of firm promises and marital faithfulness (5:27-37), of reconciliation, turning cheeks, and anonymous charity (vv.21-26,38-48, 6:1-4), of true spirituality and choosing God above possessions (vv.5-34).
The broad road feels so free, but it leads to death and hell (7:13). There’s no freedom in either. The narrow road initially looks constricting, but looks are deceiving. We’ve shed our baggage to fit through its gate and walk lighter and with more freedom—into eternal life itself (v.14).
Don’t think Jesus is talking only about heaven and hell here. The life and death He speaks of is experienced now, depending on whether we follow Him or not (vv.24-27). Others may jeer, but those who follow Jesus down His narrow path will live in joyous freedom.
What will help you walk on the right road today? In what ways will you follow Jesus, even if it’s unpopular?
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more
- Shared Responsibility - Have you ever apologized for the actions of someone else?...read more
- How Much God Loves You - What prevents you from accepting God’s love?...read more
- A Better Song - Read Romans 8:14 to see what it means to be led by “the Spirit of God.”...read more