View from a DistanceWhy is it easy to lose sight of the future God has promised you?
Top Christian Music Videos
Narrow Road, Eternal Life
But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it (v.14)
One of the most prevalent of modern myths is the idea that boundary-less living leads to freedom. A permissive lifestyle may feel free for a time, but it will soon trap us. In ludicrous manner we shout, “I’m free! I’m free!” as we back into a cage and lock the door.
Jesus’ stark warning about this cuts across our permissive society, just as it cut across His own. In Matthew 7:13, He portrays the choice as one between two roads—one narrow, another broad—leading to two destinations (life or death).
The broad road is loud and crowded (v.13). It’s the path of self-will and selfish ambition, of loose promises and sexual permissiveness, of hatred, revenge, and doing good for personal gain, of hypocritical religion, and of a materialism that leaves no room for God. This road is popular because it’s easy. We simply let our natural desires lead us.
The narrow road, by contrast, is so small that most of us walk past it. Few are rushing to it. This is the path of following God’s will rather than our own (7:21), of firm promises and marital faithfulness (5:27-37), of reconciliation, turning cheeks, and anonymous charity (vv.21-26,38-48, 6:1-4), of true spirituality and choosing God above possessions (vv.5-34).
The broad road feels so free, but it leads to death and hell (7:13). There’s no freedom in either. The narrow road initially looks constricting, but looks are deceiving. We’ve shed our baggage to fit through its gate and walk lighter and with more freedom—into eternal life itself (v.14).
Don’t think Jesus is talking only about heaven and hell here. The life and death He speaks of is experienced now, depending on whether we follow Him or not (vv.24-27). Others may jeer, but those who follow Jesus down His narrow path will live in joyous freedom.
What will help you walk on the right road today? In what ways will you follow Jesus, even if it’s unpopular?
- View from a Distance - Why is it easy to lose sight of the future God has promised you?...read more
- Based on a True Story - What restoration has God brought to your life?...read more
- New Beginnings - How has God equipped you to follow Him?...read more
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more