MemorialsHow could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?
Top Music Videos
Narrow Road, Eternal Life
But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it (v.14)
One of the most prevalent of modern myths is the idea that boundary-less living leads to freedom. A permissive lifestyle may feel free for a time, but it will soon trap us. In ludicrous manner we shout, “I’m free! I’m free!” as we back into a cage and lock the door.
Jesus’ stark warning about this cuts across our permissive society, just as it cut across His own. In Matthew 7:13, He portrays the choice as one between two roads—one narrow, another broad—leading to two destinations (life or death).
The broad road is loud and crowded (v.13). It’s the path of self-will and selfish ambition, of loose promises and sexual permissiveness, of hatred, revenge, and doing good for personal gain, of hypocritical religion, and of a materialism that leaves no room for God. This road is popular because it’s easy. We simply let our natural desires lead us.
The narrow road, by contrast, is so small that most of us walk past it. Few are rushing to it. This is the path of following God’s will rather than our own (7:21), of firm promises and marital faithfulness (5:27-37), of reconciliation, turning cheeks, and anonymous charity (vv.21-26,38-48, 6:1-4), of true spirituality and choosing God above possessions (vv.5-34).
The broad road feels so free, but it leads to death and hell (7:13). There’s no freedom in either. The narrow road initially looks constricting, but looks are deceiving. We’ve shed our baggage to fit through its gate and walk lighter and with more freedom—into eternal life itself (v.14).
Don’t think Jesus is talking only about heaven and hell here. The life and death He speaks of is experienced now, depending on whether we follow Him or not (vv.24-27). Others may jeer, but those who follow Jesus down His narrow path will live in joyous freedom.
What will help you walk on the right road today? In what ways will you follow Jesus, even if it’s unpopular?
- Memorials - How could you memorialize something God has done for you this week?...read more
- Sound Sensitive - Just as with Samuel, may we know the presence of God throughout the day....read more
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more