Rich in Good WorksHow can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?
Top Music Videos
In 2006, confession of sin became an artistic expression. Two artists, Laura Barnett and Sandra Spannan, created an exhibit in a storefront in Manhattan, which allowed passersby to confess their sins. They sat in the storefront, dressed as 19th-century washerwomen. The words on the window read, "Air your dirty laundry. 100-percent confidential. Anonymous. Free." Onlookers were encouraged to confess their sins on pieces of paper. When those who "confessed" walked away, however, the women collected their written sins and displayed them for all to see.
James commanded believers in Jesus to confess their sins to one another (5:16). The context for this verse is praying and caring for the physically sick. Praying for the sick, however, included a command for mutual confession and prayer. James was teaching that all sin, especially unconfessed sin, is a dangerous enemy to the body of Jesus. It leads to the breaking of fellowship with God and others, the building of relational walls and the destruction of community, and the prevention of moral change in the lives of believers.
Confession brought healing, physical and spiritual. Scripture reveals that we should first confess our sins to God (1 John 1:9). Then, despite the risks (rejection, embarrassment), we can and should "confess [our] sins to each other." How? Sin that has affected the body of Christ should be confessed to the body. Sin against a fellow believer should be confessed to that individual. For sin that is not against the body of Christ or a person, we should use wisdom and find a fellow believer to whom we can admit our sins. God gives us divine help as we confess our sins to Him.
There's great power in a community that is serious about mutual confession and prayer. , Marvin Williams
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more