Faithful and TrueWhat experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?
Top Christian Music Videos
Neighbors lie to each other, speaking with flattering lips and deceitful hearts (v.2).
When Hitler sought to placate Austrian minister
Kurt von Schuschnigg by complimenting and
praising him publicly, a disgusted Winston
Churchill muttered, “When a snake wants to eat his
victims, he first covers them in saliva.” The Bible calls
Hitler’s use of insincere praise flattery—words said and
actions done to gain favor with others and advantage
over them. Though some write very favorably of flattery,
the Bible does not speak of it in favorable terms. In fact,
it says that flattery is deceitful.
In Psalm 12, David lamented the deceitfulness of
flattery. He asked God for help because he noticed a
serious rip in the moral fabric of his own community.
One of the indicators of the tear was that people were
using flattery to lie to and deceive one another. With the
intentions of gaining favor and an advantage with their
neighbors, they were using beautiful words of praise and
encouragement to cover up the ugly intentions (attacks
and traps) of their hearts (Psalm 55:20-21; Jeremiah 9:8).
David was so disturbed by this deception that he asked
God to cut off or silence all flattering lips (Psalm 12:2).
He asked God to intervene because he knew the results
of this type of deception: deep relational hurt and ruined
relationships (Proverbs 26:28, 29:5).
Instead of covering people with the saliva of flattery,
we should imitate Job’s actions (Job 32:21-22). Let’s
embrace honesty and cover others in the fragrance of gracious truth, even if that
means wounding friends to refine their character (Proverbs 27:6). We’re servants
of Christ, and we must seek His approval over the approval of men. May we
please God, who will one day evaluate the purity and sincerity of our hearts,
words, and actions.
Read 2 Thessalonians 2:1 to see how Paul encouraged his readers
to live out integrity— not flattery—in their relationships.
How is flattery a form of lying and deception? What are some things
you can do to focus more on the approval of God versus the approval
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more