Testing for TruthIs the Bible the highest source of authority in your life?
Top Music Videos
Keep a close watch on how you live and on your teaching. Stay true to what is right for the sake of your own salvation and the salvation of those who hear you (v.16).
Hey, Dad! It’s Micah. All that hard work finally paid off. I made gold defense (starting defense). I’m so happy. These are just baby steps to my days in the pros.”
My 12-year-old son sent me this text after his final football practice. As a first-year player, he had made it into games, but had not started all season. As a result of his diligence, however, the coaches allowed him to start their final game. My son’s effort is an example of what the Bible calls diligence—hard work and perseverance. Diligence is commended in Scripture, especially in regard to public ministry and private life.
Paul encouraged Timothy to diligently attend to his public ministry. He wanted Timothy to work hard in the practice of publicly reading the Scriptures. Prior to Paul’s time, God’s people had been committed to publicly reading Scripture (2 Kings 2:2). The apostle told Timothy to work hard at preaching, teaching, and using his spiritual gifts. This included the exposition and application of the passages that were read publicly.
Paul also encouraged Timothy to diligently attend to his private life. He charged the younger man to carefully watch over his behavior and his theology. He wanted Timothy to realize that his behavior revealed what he believed, and what he believed was revealed in the way he lived. The resulting rewards of diligence in these areas were that Timothy would continue to live out his salvation and help others live out their own (Philippians 2:12).
Your heavenly Father desires for you—by the power of the Holy Spirit—to work hard at having a consistent and powerful ministry both in public and in private. God can then use you as an agent in influencing believers to work out their salvation with fear and trembling.
Read Matthew 15:1 to see a group of people who were not diligent in guarding their public ministry and private life.
In what areas of your public ministry and private life do you need to ask the Holy Spirit to help you become more diligent? How will hard work help you to glorify God and influence others?
- Testing for Truth - Is the Bible the highest source of authority in your life?...read more
- Subscribe to God’s Help - What temptations are you battling?...read more
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more