Top Christian Music Videos
Keep a close watch on how you live and on your teaching. Stay true to what is right for the sake of your own salvation and the salvation of those who hear you (v.16).
Hey, Dad! It’s Micah. All that hard work finally paid off. I made gold defense (starting defense). I’m so happy. These are just baby steps to my days in the pros.”
My 12-year-old son sent me this text after his final football practice. As a first-year player, he had made it into games, but had not started all season. As a result of his diligence, however, the coaches allowed him to start their final game. My son’s effort is an example of what the Bible calls diligence—hard work and perseverance. Diligence is commended in Scripture, especially in regard to public ministry and private life.
Paul encouraged Timothy to diligently attend to his public ministry. He wanted Timothy to work hard in the practice of publicly reading the Scriptures. Prior to Paul’s time, God’s people had been committed to publicly reading Scripture (2 Kings 2:2). The apostle told Timothy to work hard at preaching, teaching, and using his spiritual gifts. This included the exposition and application of the passages that were read publicly.
Paul also encouraged Timothy to diligently attend to his private life. He charged the younger man to carefully watch over his behavior and his theology. He wanted Timothy to realize that his behavior revealed what he believed, and what he believed was revealed in the way he lived. The resulting rewards of diligence in these areas were that Timothy would continue to live out his salvation and help others live out their own (Philippians 2:12).
Your heavenly Father desires for you—by the power of the Holy Spirit—to work hard at having a consistent and powerful ministry both in public and in private. God can then use you as an agent in influencing believers to work out their salvation with fear and trembling.
Read Matthew 15:1 to see a group of people who were not diligent in guarding their public ministry and private life.
In what areas of your public ministry and private life do you need to ask the Holy Spirit to help you become more diligent? How will hard work help you to glorify God and influence others?
- Fireworks and Mercy - How does it make you feel to know that God understands your human frailty and has mercy on you?...read more
- Happy at You - Do you know deep down that God loves you dearly?...read more
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more