Happy Ascension DayWhat’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?
Top Music Videos
My wife and I have been married for 16 years. But, to my own embarrassment, there have been times when I've taken her for granted. I've been so familiar with her presence that I've been insensitive to her needs and wants.
Just as it's not healthy to take our spouses for granted, King David would say it's not healthy to take God for granted. Desiring to unite the nation spiritually, David went to retrieve the ark of God from Kiriath Jearim, where it had been located for over 25 years. They transported the ark on a new cart (2 Samuel 6:3). It must have been classy and convenient. But as they transported the precious piece, the oxen stumbled, and a man named Uzzah reached out, with good intentions, to stabilize the ark. And when he touched it, God's judgment broke out against him and he died (v.7).
David became angry and afraid of God, and he decided to abandon the mission (v.10). Could it be that God had responded with such drastic measures because David had taken Him for granted? Had the king ignored God's standards (Numbers 4:15,20; Deuteronomy 10:8) or failed to inquire how he should transport the ark? David assumed he knew what God would approve. In this failure, David had begun to trifle with God's holiness. This dramatic episode presents some vital truths: (1) We must revere God and never attempt to manipulate Him.
This narrative reveals how God feels about placing our preferences ahead of His purposes. (2) Obedience to God's specific will is more important than good intentions.
Coming close to doing God's will is not enough. Let's pay close attention to our relationship with God, not allowing privilege to become presumption. May we approach Him with awe and according to His revealed will! , Marvin Williams
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more
- Blending In - What does it mean to stand for Jesus instead of blending in?...read more