What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
My wife and I have been married for 16 years. But, to my own embarrassment, there have been times when I've taken her for granted. I've been so familiar with her presence that I've been insensitive to her needs and wants.
Just as it's not healthy to take our spouses for granted, King David would say it's not healthy to take God for granted. Desiring to unite the nation spiritually, David went to retrieve the ark of God from Kiriath Jearim, where it had been located for over 25 years. They transported the ark on a new cart (2 Samuel 6:3). It must have been classy and convenient. But as they transported the precious piece, the oxen stumbled, and a man named Uzzah reached out, with good intentions, to stabilize the ark. And when he touched it, God's judgment broke out against him and he died (v.7).
David became angry and afraid of God, and he decided to abandon the mission (v.10). Could it be that God had responded with such drastic measures because David had taken Him for granted? Had the king ignored God's standards (Numbers 4:15,20; Deuteronomy 10:8) or failed to inquire how he should transport the ark? David assumed he knew what God would approve. In this failure, David had begun to trifle with God's holiness. This dramatic episode presents some vital truths: (1) We must revere God and never attempt to manipulate Him.
This narrative reveals how God feels about placing our preferences ahead of His purposes. (2) Obedience to God's specific will is more important than good intentions.
Coming close to doing God's will is not enough. Let's pay close attention to our relationship with God, not allowing privilege to become presumption. May we approach Him with awe and according to His revealed will! , Marvin Williams
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more