Rich in Good WorksHow can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?
Top Music Videos
There's a billboard company in my area that likes to post nice slogans on its signs when it doesn't have paid clients. "Kyoto, Targets Bring Results" declares one environmentally conscious poster. "Knowledge Speaks but Wisdom Listens" reads another. "Love Nature, Love God" says a third. These fill-in billboards are always nice, sweet, and kind. But a strange thing happened recently. Driving to work one morning, I noticed the billboards had changed, along with their tone. "Don't Buy from [name removed]!" read one sign, taking a shot at one of our large Australian supermarket chains. "[Name removed] Treated Us Badly" read another.
The nice slogans of the billboard operator turned sour when a client disappointed them. There's a stark lesson in those billboards. Do we really mean the kind words we say? Does our facade of niceness melt when we're wronged or disappointed? According to Scripture, true character is revealed through conflict. "Bless those who persecute you," the apostle Paul told the Romans (12:14). "Never pay back evil with more evil," he wrote (v.17). We're not to take revenge, Paul reminds us, but to conquer evil with good (vv.19-21).
Paul told his protÃ©gÃ© Timothy to display love and purity when being persecuted (1 Timothy 4:12) and to oppose false teachers with gentleness and patience (2 Timothy 2:25, 4:2). The apostle Peter encouraged his flock to live such good lives that their accusers' claims would be proven false (1 Peter 2:12,20), imitating Jesus, who didn't retaliate when He was insulted or threaten revenge when He suffered (v.23). Sentiments of kindness are mere slogans if they can't withstand the harsh test of conflict. , Sheridan Voysey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more