Happy Ascension DayWhat’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?
Top Music Videos
There's a billboard company in my area that likes to post nice slogans on its signs when it doesn't have paid clients. "Kyoto, Targets Bring Results" declares one environmentally conscious poster. "Knowledge Speaks but Wisdom Listens" reads another. "Love Nature, Love God" says a third. These fill-in billboards are always nice, sweet, and kind. But a strange thing happened recently. Driving to work one morning, I noticed the billboards had changed, along with their tone. "Don't Buy from [name removed]!" read one sign, taking a shot at one of our large Australian supermarket chains. "[Name removed] Treated Us Badly" read another.
The nice slogans of the billboard operator turned sour when a client disappointed them. There's a stark lesson in those billboards. Do we really mean the kind words we say? Does our facade of niceness melt when we're wronged or disappointed? According to Scripture, true character is revealed through conflict. "Bless those who persecute you," the apostle Paul told the Romans (12:14). "Never pay back evil with more evil," he wrote (v.17). We're not to take revenge, Paul reminds us, but to conquer evil with good (vv.19-21).
Paul told his protÃ©gÃ© Timothy to display love and purity when being persecuted (1 Timothy 4:12) and to oppose false teachers with gentleness and patience (2 Timothy 2:25, 4:2). The apostle Peter encouraged his flock to live such good lives that their accusers' claims would be proven false (1 Peter 2:12,20), imitating Jesus, who didn't retaliate when He was insulted or threaten revenge when He suffered (v.23). Sentiments of kindness are mere slogans if they can't withstand the harsh test of conflict. , Sheridan Voysey
CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more
- Blending In - What does it mean to stand for Jesus instead of blending in?...read more