Tongues AfireWhen have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?
Top Music Videos
But Jesus said, “It should be done, for we must carry out all that God requires” (v.15).
The announcement couldn’t have been clearer: “Water baptism is not an option for the believer in Jesus. Please sign up for baptism. Baptismal classes begin in 2 weeks time.” After the service, a young man confronted the pastor. “Pastor, I am saved by grace and not through baptism. I don’t see the need for baptism.”
John the Baptizer called the Jews to repent of their sins and to turn to God (Matthew 3:2). He preached that “people should be baptized to show that they had repented of their sins and turned to God to be forgiven” (Luke 3:3). “And when they confessed their sins, he baptized them in the Jordan River” (Matthew 3:6). According to John, baptism is an outward symbol of inward repentance and reveals a commitment to live a holy life.
Why was Jesus baptized when He didn’t need to be? Did it signify Jesus’ acceptance of the suffering that He would endure as Savior, foreshadowing His death and resurrection? (Mark 10:38; Luke 12:50). Did it allow Him to identify with the sinful people He came to save? Jesus Himself tells us why He did it: “It should be done, for we must carry out all that God requires” (Matthew 3:15).
Water baptism does not save us (Ephesians 2:8), but that doesn’t mean that it’s unimportant or unnecessary. Once saved, you need to testify outwardly of your inward repentance and affirm your commitment to live a holy life (Romans 6:3). Baptism allows you to testify publicly that you’re a believer in Jesus (Galatians 3:27; Colossians 2:12).
It boils down to simple obedience. If Jesus obeyed the Father’s command, why wouldn’t you?
Read Acts 2:38 and notice that those who believed in Jesus were immediately baptized.
What do you think is the significance of baptism? If you haven’t been baptized, what’s stopping you?
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more