Run with It!Jesus is the author of life.
Top Christian Music Videos
But Jesus said, “It should be done, for we must carry out all that God requires” (v.15).
The announcement couldn’t have been clearer: “Water baptism is not an option for the believer in Jesus. Please sign up for baptism. Baptismal classes begin in 2 weeks time.” After the service, a young man confronted the pastor. “Pastor, I am saved by grace and not through baptism. I don’t see the need for baptism.”
John the Baptizer called the Jews to repent of their sins and to turn to God (Matthew 3:2). He preached that “people should be baptized to show that they had repented of their sins and turned to God to be forgiven” (Luke 3:3). “And when they confessed their sins, he baptized them in the Jordan River” (Matthew 3:6). According to John, baptism is an outward symbol of inward repentance and reveals a commitment to live a holy life.
Why was Jesus baptized when He didn’t need to be? Did it signify Jesus’ acceptance of the suffering that He would endure as Savior, foreshadowing His death and resurrection? (Mark 10:38; Luke 12:50). Did it allow Him to identify with the sinful people He came to save? Jesus Himself tells us why He did it: “It should be done, for we must carry out all that God requires” (Matthew 3:15).
Water baptism does not save us (Ephesians 2:8), but that doesn’t mean that it’s unimportant or unnecessary. Once saved, you need to testify outwardly of your inward repentance and affirm your commitment to live a holy life (Romans 6:3). Baptism allows you to testify publicly that you’re a believer in Jesus (Galatians 3:27; Colossians 2:12).
It boils down to simple obedience. If Jesus obeyed the Father’s command, why wouldn’t you?
Read Acts 2:38 and notice that those who believed in Jesus were immediately baptized.
What do you think is the significance of baptism? If you haven’t been baptized, what’s stopping you?
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more