Spiritual StrugglesWhen you struggle spiritually, how do you react?
Top Music Videos
We decided we had to move or freeze to death." Eleven-year old Norman Ollestad uttered these harrowing words to a newspaper reporter soon after being rescued in the San Gabriel Mountains. The small Cessna plane he had been traveling in had smashed into one of the range's jagged peaks. Norman was the lone survivor, his dad and the pilot died immediately, his dad's girlfriend a bit later. Norman's book Crazy for the Storm: A Memoir of Survival recounts the remarkable tale.
While the crash was center stage, Ollestad's story is about more than surviving that cruel day, it's about his emerging from trauma as a man who, in the aftermath, has learned to live.
In Deuteronomy, God laid out a framework for Israel that would govern their corporate identity. He provided numerous regulations about their diet and their worship and the way they would govern themselves. Underlying it all, however, was the subtext of God preparing them for the long days when they would be in foreign lands and under foreign rule. Whenever they would find themselves "living among the nations," God knew it would be vitally important for Israel to be able to survive, to maintain their unique identity and their unique story and purpose (30:1).
However, these structures and instructions were about much more than mere holding themselves together. God intended this way of life to guide them into (or at times return them to) a deep love for Him. And this love for God was not a technique to help them merely survive, but an invitation to life, to experience the joy and bounty of all God would give them (v.6).
God's kind intentions toward us are more delightful than we can imagine. His plan is for us to live well, taking deep pleasure in all the goodness He provides. , Winn Collier, Our Daily Journey CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org
- Spiritual Struggles - When you struggle spiritually, how do you react?...read more
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more